Learning and Behavior Problems in Education: Challenges and Solutions
The research of the group Learning and Behavior Problems in Education: Challenges and Solutions addresses learning difficulties in the areas of reading (technical reading and reading comprehension) math and writing, and examines learning-related behaviors behaviors, such as attentional and motivational processes that contribute to and/or result from such difficulties.
The research is both fundamental and practical to understand the nature and etiology of learning and behavior difficulties, as well as to develop methods and techniques to improve learning and behaviors of children, youth, and young adults in education. An underlying theme of the research is to develop ways to enhance successful participation of students (elementary-, secondary-, and college-level), parents, and teachers in education.
The research of the group addresses the following specific themes:
- Early literacy development
- Reading: decoding, fluency and comprehension
- Data-driven intervention
- Assessment of and for learning
- Reading motivation / math anxiety
- Reading with technology; technology for reading
- The role of attention during reading and learning
- Teacher professional development