Public Management and Leadership (MSc)
Why Leiden University?
If government wants to solve societal challenges and improve society, individual public organizations must be able to achieve results. In the Public Management and Leadership specialisation, you learn how management and leadership shape the performance of organizations in the public sector. In times of increasing complexity, management is needed to ensure that public organisations operate in an effective, efficient and reliable manner. At the same time, leadership is necessary for public organisations to be adaptive, responsive and innovative
Five reasons why should study Public Management and Leadership in The Hague
- This specialisation connects state-of-the-art theory and research on management and leadership to contemporary trends in the public sector, such as collaborative networks, co-producing citizens, and post-bureaucratic forms of organizing such as teamwork.
- Attention for context: Capricious politicians, bureaucratic rules and ambiguous goals sometimes make the work of public organizations more difficult, but certainly more interesting!
- Hone your skills: students train and develop four Public Leadership Competences (Networking, Envisioning, Motivating and Empowering) that are integrated in the specialisation courses.
- Our alumni are uniquely equipped to understand, analyze and solve the strategic challenges that contemporary public sector organizations face. They work as public managers, strategic advisors in public organizations or private sector consultants.
- Connect with The Hague: we bring the many public organizations of The Hague into the classroom with guest speakers and cases, and send our students out into The Hague on applied assignments and research projects.
Study at the Faculty Governance and Global Affairs
The Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs (FGGA) is Leiden University’s newest faculty, launched in response to increasingly urgent socio-cultural issues. The FGGA is an internationally acclaimed academic knowledge hub that studies world-wide issues from the perspectives of governance, politics, law, sociology and economics. FGGA is active in its quest for multidisciplinary academic networks; through its academic institutes and knowledge centres, FGGA contributes to far-reaching socio-cultural debates.
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University