Economics and Governance (MSc)
The Economics & Governance specialisation of the Master in Public Administration teaches you to formulate problem-solving approaches to concrete policy issues found at the intersection between economics and public administration. This specialisation is a unique joint offering of the Department of Economics and the Institute of Public Administration.
Prof. dr. Olaf van Vliet
'What is unique about this programme is the combination of two disciplines. On the one hand you will apply sound economic analysis to design effective policies to address societal challenges and on the other hand you will learn how to operate successfully in a complex decision-making process.'
In Economics and Governance students apply modern economics to address societal issues such as reforming pension and healthcare systems in ageing societies, global environmental challenges, the impact of globalization on labour markets and income inequality, and pressure from immigration.
Our graduates have both strong analytical skills to design and evaluate effective policies and they have the right skills for managing policy processes. They go on to work as economic policy-advisors or as financial professionals at a government ministry or at a consultancy firm, but we also have alumni who started a career at well-known multinational companies or in the financial sector.
Alumnus, Policy Officer at the Ducth Ministry of Foreign Affairs
'The Economics and Governance track provided me with a strong policy background that helped me in my first years working for the Dutch government.'
During my bachelor degree, I became interested in the junction of economics and politics, the Econmics and Governance track enabled me to deepen my knowledge on these issues. I really enjoyed studying issues in the field of international political economy and public policy making as well as acquiring quantitive and research skills.
The Economics and Governance track provided me with a strong policy background that helped me in my first years working for the Dutch government. If you are interested in policy, economics and want to develop yourself more quantitatively then the Public Administration E&G track is the right fit for you!
What does this master programme entail?
The E&G specialisation aims to develop professionals who are able to analyse and address policy problems broadly, and in the field of social policy and market regulation specifically. The focal point is on welfare states and markets. You learn about the role of government in creating, facilitating and controlling markets. You also examine the status of the current welfare state, such as the pension system, social security, labour markets, and income distribution in society; and the challenges the welfare state currently faces. You are provided a strong multidisciplinary preparation for a professional career in areas such as socio-economic policy- making or market regulation. The combination of applied economics and public governance forms a solid base for policy-makers, consultants and future leaders.
This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.You can leave our website to view this video.
5 Reasons to choose Economics & Governance at Leiden University
- You will learn to produce solutions to current issues found where economics and public administration meet. You will analyse the ways in which social-economic policy and regulatory governance can be improved, and how to realise those improvements in dynamic and refractory settings, in which you will be confronted with politics and differing interests.
- You will combine theoretical knowledge with academic and professional skills, in doing so, preparing yourself for a career as a policy advisor, policy analyst, or consultant.
- You will be instructed by driven lecturers who are involved in high-level research within your subject and who are experienced with strategic policy advice in practice.
- As you will be examining international cases, performing comparative research and having discussions with your fellow students based on their international perspectives, you will develop a broad perspective on issues that involve economics and governance.
- You will be studying in the heart of The Hague - a bustling, cosmopolitan urban centre and the administrative heart of the Netherlands - amidst government ministries, international organisations and multi-nationals. Here, you can directly experience the subject of your studies and your potential field of work.
Is Economics & Governance the right programme for you?
- Are you interested in developing your skills in economic reasoning, conducting economic analysis, and working with data and statistics?
- Are you interested in the interplay between governance and the world’s economies?
- Do you want to find solutions to societal issues through a multi-level, multi-stakeholder governance perspective?
- Do you want a multidisciplinary Master in Public Administration that combines Economics and Public Administration and is taught at a high academic level?
Then this is the study for you!