Economics and Governance (MSc)
You will learn to produce solutions to current issues found where economics and public administration meet. You will analyse the ways in which social-economic policy and regulatory governance can be improved, and how to realise those improvements in the recalcitrant administrative playing field, in which you will be confronted with politics and differing interests. You will combine theoretical knowledge with academic and professional skills, in doing so, preparing yourself for a career as a policy advisor, policy analyst or consultant.
Alumnus, Policy Officer at the Ducth Ministry of Foreign Affairs
'The Economics and Governance track provided me with a strong policy background that helped me in my first years working for the Dutch government.'
During my bachelor degree, I became interested in the junction of economics and politics, the Econmics and Governance track enabled me to deepen my knowledge on these issues. I really enjoyed studying issues in the field of international political economy and public policy making as well as acquiring quantitive and research skills.
The Economics and Governance track provided me with a strong policy background that helped me in my first years working for the Dutch government. If you are interested in policy, economics and want to develop yourself more quantitatively then the Public Administration E&G track is the right fit for you!
Skills after graduation
As a graduate of the Economics & Governance specialisation you are provided with strong multidisciplinary preparation for a professional carreer in such areas as social- economic policy making or market regulation; you have a unique cross- disciplinary understanding that combines the insights of Public Administration and Economic. During your study you learn to utilise analyses and practical experience to create problem-solving responses to issues such as the labour market, pensions, income inequality - the areas where economics and public administration meet.
What does Economics and Governance enable Students to do After their studies?
Our graduates have both strong analytical skills to design and evaluate effective policies and they have the right skills for managing policy processes. Economics and Governance educates professionals who can deliver solutions based on sound economic analysis for current societal problems and who have learnt how to operate effectively in a complex environment of real-life decision-making. Our students learn how to apply analytical tools in order to solve current societal issues.
Our students work as an economic policy-advisor or as a financial professional at a government ministry or at a consultancy firm, but we also have alumni who started a career at well-known multinational companies or in the financial sector. Because of the unique combination of economics and public administration, our students are much appreciated by public as well as private institutions, both in the Netherlands and abroad. Still others successfully manage to get into strong PhD programs.
Positions held by our alumni
Graduates of the MSc in PA, Economics & Governance specialisation currently hold a wide variety of managerial, policy-making and consultancy positions within such public organisations as foreign ministries as well as private organisations.
- 41.58 Sector of first job Business (e.g. consulting, finance, legal)
- 11.88 Sector of first job Other (e.g. non-profit, political party, media)
- 18.81 Sector of first job Research & Education
- 27.72 Sector of first job Government
- 46 In which sector do our alumni find jobs? Public sector
- 14 In which sector do our alumni find jobs? Business services, industry, transport, trade
- 6 In which sector do our alumni find jobs? University
- 7 In which sector do our alumni find jobs? Financial & legal services
- 4 In which sector do our alumni find jobs? Press, information, communication
- 21 In which sector do our alumni find jobs? Other
- 27 The most popular jobs of our alumni Policy advisor
- 17 The most popular jobs of our alumni Project manager
- 11 The most popular jobs of our alumni Consultant
- 6 The most popular jobs of our alumni Researcher
- 6 The most popular jobs of our alumni Communication expert
- 3 The most popular jobs of our alumni Teacher
- 3 The most popular jobs of our alumni PhD
- 3 The most popular jobs of our alumni Financial advisor
- 24 The most popular jobs of our alumni Other
Did you know that… ?
- 53 % of our alumni found a job within two months after graduation?
- 77 % of our alumni found a job within six months after graduation?
- 91% of our alumni found a job within a year after graduation?
- Over 60 % of our alumni has a job for which the MSc Public Administration or a closely related studies was a requirement?
- Our alumni work on average 38 hours per week and have a gross monthly salary of more than € 3.000?