Linguistics (specialisation) (MA)
To be eligible for Linguistics at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Linguistics
- Completed the pre-Master's programme. Read more here.
If you can demonstrate a level of knowledge, understanding and skills equal to that of holders of a degree mentioned above, you may be eligible.
All applicants must:
- have a bachelor’s degree from a research university that matches the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including general academic skills;
- have knowledge of and insight in linguistics comparable with the qualifications acquired by students graduating from the Bachelor’s programme in Linguistics, for example:
- an academic Bachelor's degree in English/French/German/Italian/China Studies, or any other language, with at least 15-20 credits in core linguistics courses (phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics), or a minor in linguistics.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL (internet-based): 100
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE) 185
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are still awaiting a decision on whether Dutch universities can accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic year 2021-2022. This information will be updated as soon as we know more.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.