Linguistics (specialisation) (MA)
To be eligible for Linguistics at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
You are eligible to apply for the MA Linguistics: Linguistics if you have:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Linguistics; or
- A bachelor’s degree from a research university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree, and
- Knowledge of and insight in linguistics comparable with the qualifications acquired by students graduating from the Bachelor’s programme in Linguistics demonstrated with (for example):
- A Bachelor's degree in English/French/German/Italian/China Studies, or any other language, with at least 20 EC in core linguistics courses (phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics), or at least 30 EC in the field of linguistics; or
- A Bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in International Studies with at least 30 EC in the field of linguistics.
The Board of Admissions will assess whether your degree and background are sufficiently related to the level and content of a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Linguistics on the basis of the requirements specified above.
Students with a Bachelor in Linguistics from Leiden University are directly eligible for admission and can apply in Studielink. There is no need to submit an application for admission using the online application portal.
If you have a bachelor’s degree from a research university that does not meet the requirements specified above, you may be eligible for a pre-master programme between 40 and 60 EC, tailored to your individual background. After submitting your application in Studielink, the Board of Admissions will decide whether you can be directly admitted to the master’s programme or whether you will first need to complete a pre-master’s programme. It is not possible to apply for a pre-master’s programme directly. Once you have completed the imposed pre-master programme, you will be admitted to the master’s programme.
For questions about the pre-master’s programme you can contact the coordinator of studies.
Applicants with a degree from a Dutch university of applied sciences (hbo) or equivalent are not eligible for admission to the Master’s and pre-master’s programme.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL (internet-based): 100
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE): 185
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Note that English test results may not be more than two years old. The following types of English test are accepted:
- IELTS: Academic
- We do not accept IELTS General Training or IELTS Indicator
- We are not yet able to accept the new IELTS online.
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept the following types of test: TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined), TOEFL Essentials™ or institutional tests such as ITP.
- We can accept TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition™ or TOEFL IBT Paper Edition™ in the following situations only:
- You are applying for a programme starting in Feb 2023, or
- You took the test before 1 Sept 2022 (& it is not more than 2 years old), or
- You are unable to take an in-person test on location because test centres in your region are closed due to COVID or inaccessible due to unsafe conditions.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada) Singapore, South-Africa or Malta, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.