European and International Human Rights Law (Advanced LL.M.)
Why Leiden University
This programme will help you develop a thorough understanding of various European and international human rights mechanisms through a uniquely comparative approach.
Professor Titia Loenen
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
10 reasons why should study European and International Human Rights in Leiden
As a student of the European and International Human Rights Law Advanced Studies programme, you will benefit from:
- Expert instructors: In addition to learning from the expertise of our academic staff, you will participate in lectures, masterclasses and workshops given by renowned human rights experts working for the UN, the EU, NGOs or other organisations.
- Life-changing work: You will learn how to develop your own voice to speak for people in the world who may have otherwise been silenced. You will become an effective advocate for promoting the basic rights and fundamental freedoms that are inherent to all human beings.
- Small class sizes: This programme’s small class sizes encourage intensive interaction between students and instructors.
- Study trip: You will participate in a study trip to Strasbourg and/or Geneva, which will allow you to see the development and implementation of human rights law up close.
- International education: Your fellow students will come from different countries around the world, which will further contribute to the international perspective you develop in the programme.
- Diversity: with students coming from so many parts of the world you will study in a rich multicultural and multinational environment that will allow you to share aw ide variety of experiences and points of view.
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School has an excellent reputation in human rights research and education.
- Strong professional network: This programme will provide you with an extensive network of contacts, including our staff, who can help to facilitate research and career opportunities.
- Beautiful, convenient location: The Law School is housed in two beautifully restored historic buildings located in the old centre of Leiden. We also have teaching and research facilities close to international legal institutions in The Hague
- Superior research resources: As a student in this programme, you will have access to the Law School’s excellent library, as well as the library of the nearby Peace Palace (The Hague), which houses one of the world’s largest legal collections.
Studying at Leiden Law School
Leiden Law School offers challenging, top quality education with many opportunities for talent to flourish. The law school is internationally orientated and has many contacts with universities, political bodies and the professional field. Our teaching staff combine a solid academic basis with current knowledge in the professional field. As a result the study programmes offered are versatile, topical and socially relevant. With our additional location in The Hague we are in close proximity to the political and international organisations that operate in the areas of law, justice and policy-making.
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University