To be eligible for Assyriology at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Ancient Near Eastern Studies/Ancient Cultures of the Mediterranean World: Assyriology
- Completed the pre-master's programme. Contact the coordinator of studies.
The Faculty Board may, on request, grant admission to applicants who can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Faculty Board that they possess a level of knowledge, understanding and skills equal to that of holders of a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Ancient Near Eastern Studies/Ancient Cultures of the Mediterranean World: Assyriology.
You should have knowledge of at least one of the following, obtained through an academic Bachelor’s degree with a particular focus on Assyriology or the Ancient Near East:
- the grammar of the most important phases of the Akkadian, Hittite or Sumerian language, of the relevant scripts and of the historical development of the language and scripts;
- the archaeology, the material culture and art history of the region;
- the cultural history of the region, including its literature, its religion, its social structure and its material culture.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL: 100
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE) 185
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.