Archaeology (Research MA)
To be eligible for Archaeology (research) at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
General diploma requirements
- You are in possession of qualities in the areas of knowledge, understanding and skills which should have been acquired by the end of (one of) the bachelor’s programme Archaeology at Leiden University; ór
- You have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a research university, of can prove that you fulfil the requirements of such a degree;
There is no direct admission to the Research Master's programme in Archaeology. All applicants are required to follow Part 2 of the Application procedure.
- Overall average grade of min. 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for BA2 +BA3
- Bachelor's thesis graded with at least a 8.0 ór a research proposal of excellent quality
- An RMA-interview ór supporting letter of the supervisor
- OR: you have finished the first semester of the MA in Archaeology with at least a 7.5 average and you pass the RMA-interview.
Please note: We ask all students, including Leiden University and Leiden University Archaeology students to apply for both the MA and RMA, to guarantee you a place in the MA in case you are rejected for the RMA.
It is not possible to be admitted to the RMA/RMSc Archaeology through a pre-master or bridging programme beforehand. Apply for the MA/MSc or the pre-master programme instead.
When you have completed your pre-master, you can send in your application for the Research Master together with your application for the Master's.
Sufficient command of English
- IELTS: Academic modules only. Minimum overall score of 6.5 and component scores of 6.0.
- TOEFL: Minimum overall score of 90 and component scores of 20. Original test results should be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service. The TOEFL institution code for Leiden University is 0504.
We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission due to the coronavirus situation. Institutional TOEFL tests are not accepted;
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English/ Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English. Minimum overall score of 180 and component scores of 169.
Please note: Exam results may not be more than two years old. See also the general language requirements.
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.