Air and Space Law (Advanced LL.M.)
Which laws govern the commercial use of outer space? Are States responsible for mitigating space debris? Who is liable for accidents that happen onboard an the aircraft? Learn how to deal with questions like these from both an international and a European perspective.
"Leiden is the place where I discovered space law as an attractive field of research and where professors encouraged and helped me throughout my studies and will now even continue in this field as I applied for a phd program in Space Law at Hong Kong University starting in the autumn of 2017."
"After I obtained my LLM degree in Air and Space Law in 2016, I went back to China to finish my second master studies in international law. Inspired by the study experience in Leiden, I chose to write the second master thesis on space law as well, although on a different topic from the one I completed in Leiden."
Students to speak
What does this master's programme entail?
The LL.M. programme Air and Space Law combines public air law, private air law and space law. It has a clearly defined European and international dimension, making it unique in the world. In this intensive one-year master’s programme, you will gain a solid legal foundation in this exciting field, learning from some of the foremost experts in academia and legal practice.
You will learn how to address a wide variety of issues that affect society, such as:
- passenger safety
- accident investigation
- environmental protection
- the use of drones
- fair competition
- sustainability of space activities
- militarisation of outer space
Reasons to choose Air and Space Law at Leiden University?
As a student of Advanced Studies in Air and Space Law, you will benefit from:
- International environment: In addition to the international focus of the curriculum, the unique blend of students and instructors that represent all continents makes our programme a truly global experience.
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by expert faculty from the International Institute of Air and Space Law, visiting international professors and distinguished legal practitioners specialised in specific aspects of air and space law.
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School has developed its reputation for excellence by combining a high level of academic teaching with acclaimed and innovative research. Its tradition of quality attracts prestigious professors and professionals from around the world who teach you in a challenging and supportive atmosphere.
Find more reasons to study Air and Space Law at Leiden University.
Is Air and Space Law the right programme for you?
Are you fascinated by the myriad legal issues involved with aviation and aerospace activities? This programme will help you gain a thorough understanding of the international and European dimensions of this complex, cutting-edge field.
This programme is a good fit for you if you are a law graduate wishing to pursue a challenging master’s study or a legal practitioner wishing to specialise in air and space law who is currently working at for example a(n):
- internationally operating law firm
- private company (e.g. airline, aircraft parts manufacturer)
- civil aviation authority
- telecommunications organisation
- governmental organisation.
Read more about the entry requirements for Air and Space Law.