International Relations and Organisations (BSc)
Application and admission
The Leiden University Political Science bachelor’s programmes admit a limited number of students. If there are more applications than this ‘numerus fixus’, a selection and placement procedure will determine which applicants will be offered a place in the programme. This means that we cannot guarantee all applicants enrollment, even if they meet all entry requirements. Furthermore, you will have to register in time and keep an eye on a number of very strict deadlines.
Leiden University’s BSc programmes in Political Science usually receive more applications than they can accommodate. Therefore, a selection and placement procedure has been established in order to maintain a maximum number of students and to ensure our students the best quality of education. This numerus fixus—a total for all the Political Science BSc programmes combined—is set at 600 students. If we receive more than 600 applications, a selection procedure will determine which students match our programme best and will be offered a place.
The selection takes into account three criteria:
- the average grades of your previous education/GPA (40% of the ranking score),
- a motivation letter (40% of the ranking score), and
- your score in an online assessment (20% of the ranking score).
Choosing IRO in Studielink
- Choose your language in the upper right corner of the screen.
Setting the search parameters
In step 2, Choose a study programme, make sure to select the following options:
- Educational institution: Leiden University
- Type of study programme: WO Bachelor
- Academic load: Full-time
Then, in the search bar (Fill in study programme or location), type
- political science and
From the Results that appear to the right of the search bar, make sure to select this option:
- Political Science, Full-time, numerus fixus programme
- WO Bachelor, Leiden University
- Location: 's-GRAVENHAGE' ('s-Gravenhage is the formal Dutch name for The Hague)
Completing your registration
The following screen shows that you are registering for the IRO programme:
- Verify the start date, type of enrolment and start as fields.
- Click Next › and answer the remaining questions.
Preparing, submitting, and finalising your application
In the following sections, we will take you through the preparation, submission, and—if applicable—the finalisation of your application. Furthermore, we will provide further details about the selection and placement procedure. Lastly, you can inform yourself as to the tuition fee.
These practical matters are important if you want to apply for the BSc Political Science: International Relations and Organisations:
- entry requirements;
- application deadlines;
- required documents;
- selection and placement procedure;
- tuition fees
› Download this flowchart (PDF)