Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Students from the UK

Are you a British citizen currently studying at Leiden University? Find out about the effects of Brexit such as the transition period, residence permits, tuition fees and more.

Transition period

On 7 January 2019, the Dutch Government issued a letter to Parliament, stating that British citizens and their families who are legally living, working and studying in the Netherlands on Brexit day can in case of a no deal Brexit continue to do so for a transition period of 15 months. In case the UK leaves the EU with a deal (no later than 1 November 2019), the transition period will last until 31 December 2020. During this time you will remain entitled to provisions such as healthcare and to financial contributions towards the cost of rent and childcare, for example.

Verify your BRP registration

Your registration as a resident in the city’s Personal Records Database (BRP) serves as proof that you have been, and are, living in the Netherlands.  It is important that your BRP registration is correct, as you will receive your letters from the IND (Dutch immigration department) at the address at which you are registered.

Check you have received a letter from IND

In January 2019, all British citizens registered as living in the Netherlands should have received a letter from the IND stating their resident status during the transition period and explaining what will happen next. If you have not received your letter, please contact the IND.

Read more about this letter on the IND website

Temporary residence permit

The letter you received from IND will serve as your temporary residence permit during the transition period. For the current academic year, you do not need to submit the letter to Admissions Office Visa team. However, you will need to submit your IND letter if you wish to apply for the 2019-2020 academic year. You will receive further instructions about this later.

Tuition fee

As a student enrolled at Leiden University on Brexit day, and a registered resident in the Netherlands, you will be allowed to continue studying under the same conditions, and with the same tuition fees, as those set for EU students by law and by the regulations of Leiden University. As we understand it from the Government’s letter, this includes continuing uninterrupted on a follow-on study programme (e.g. doing your Master’s right after a Bachelor’s) and also includes a switch between institutions within the Netherlands. If applicable, you will keep your entitlement to financial assistance (studiefinanciering).

Working during your studies

If you have a part-time job alongside your studies, please consult your employer to find out if, and how, Brexit could affect your position and rights as an employee.

Further information

For further information, please contact the IND via the Brexit information line: tel +31 (0)88 04 30410 or by email.  

For study programme related matters, please contact your
study adviser or coordinator.

Prospective Leiden University students from the UK

Under the current circumstances you will be charged the EU/EEA tuition fee. If there is no deal specifying otherwise after Brexit day you will be charged the non-EU/EEA tuition fee. Read more about the tuition fees of Leiden University's bachelor's and master programmes.

Health insurance

After Brexit day, the EU health insurance card (EHIC) will no longer be valid for UK students. You must therefore take out an alternative health insurance policy before the UK leaves the EU. Visit our health insurance page for information on insurance requirements and the types of policy available.

This website uses cookies. More information