Tom Buitelaar is an Assistant Professor in the War, Peace & Justice program of the Institute of Security and Global Affairs at Leiden University.
News and media
Tom Buitelaar is an Assistant Professor in the War, Peace & Justice program of the Institute of Security and Global Affairs at Leiden University. He studies the role of international conflict interventions in world politics, with specific attention to how interveners balance peace and justice. Furthermore, he is interested in how international norms guide these interventions, and the role of individual agency in enhancing their effectiveness. He combines this interest with deep-grained analysis of the inner workings of international organizations. Tom holds a PhD from the European University Institute for which he investigated the conditions under which UN peace operations assist the International Criminal Court. Before his PhD, Tom was a Researcher in Conflict Prevention at The Hague Institute for Global Justice.
Tom is also the co-chair of the Dutch Peacekeeping Network which convenes NGOs, academia, and the Dutch Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Defense, to consider and improve the Dutch role in UN peacekeeping operations.
His research has been published in the European Journal of International Relations, Human Rights Review, and St. Antony’s Review of International Affairs, amongst others. He has also co-authored several chapters in edited volumes published by Oxford University Press.
Personal website: tombuitelaar.com.
- Buitelaar T.J.A. & Willigen N.J.G. van (2021), Vredesmissies in een geopolitieke context: welke rol voor Nederland?, Militaire Spectator 190(11): 540 (553).
- Buitelaar T.J.A. & Hirschmann G.K. (2021), Criminal accountability at what cost? Norm conflict, UN peace operations and the International Criminal Court, European Journal of International Relations 27(2): 548-571.
- Buitelaar T. (2018), Blue Helmets and Black Robes: The Cooperation Between Peacekeepers and International Criminal Tribunals, St. Antony's international review 14(1): 53-82.
- Buitelaar T. & Daws S. (2018), The election and distribution of the non-permanent members of the Security Council. In: Fröhlich M. & Williams A. (Eds.) The UN Secretary-General and the Security Council: A Dynamic Relationship . Oxford: Oxford University Press. 232-248.
- Buitelaar T. & Ponzio R. (2018), Mobilizing Smart Coalitions and Negotiating Global Governance Reform. In: Durch W., Larik J. & Ponzio R. (Eds.) Just Security in an Undergoverned World. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 463-487.
- Buitelaar T. (2016), The ICC and the Prevention of Atrocities: Criminological Perspectives, Human Rights Review 17(3): 285-302.
- Buitelaar T. (2015), De luchtverdediging van de Koninklijke Luchtmacht, 1967-1980, Militaire Spectator .
No relevant ancillary activities