Director of education / professor of Inorganic chemistry
Central to the research of Lies Bouwman is the aim to gain understanding of transition metal complexes and their properties and reactivity at the molecular level. She then uses this understanding to ‘teach’ metal complexes to perform new catalytic reactions.
Date of birth: 17 March 1962
1990 PhD, Faculty of Mathematics & Natural Sciences, Leiden University, The Netherlands, 28 February
Thesis title: “Modelling the blue copper site with imidazole-thioether ligands”
Advisor: Prof. Dr. J. Reedijk.
1986 MSc in Chemistry, Faculty of Mathematics & Natural Sciences, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Current and previous research positions
2010 - now Full Professor in Inorganic Chemistry, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, the Netherlands
2000 – 2010 Associate Professor, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University (NL)
1996 – 2000 Assistant Professor, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University (NL)
1991 – 1996 Fellow of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, the Netherlands (Prof. J. Reedijk)
1990 – 1991 Postdoctoral Researcher, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA, supported by a NATO fellowship (Prof. G. Christou)
1990 - 1990 Postdoctoral Researcher, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands (Prof. H. van Bekkum)
Grants, awards, recognitions since 2010
2014 Contract research for Corbion (k€ 120)
2014 FOM ‘CO2 neutral fuels’ programme grant with M.T.M. Koper and D.G.H. Hetterscheid (k€ 464)
2013 FES SmartMix CatchBio grant (k€ 188)
2012 NWO HRSMC Graduate School programme (k€ 200)
2011 FOM TBSC grant with S.A. Bonnet and G. Mul (Twente) (k€ 250)
2010 NRSC-C Top research school (k€ 400)
2010 FES-HTSM NanoNextNL (k€ 232.5)
2010 STW project grant generated from patent revenues (k€ 273.5)
Contribution to teaching and supervision
Teaching: course for BSc Molecular Science and Technology (Leiden/Delft): Chemistry and Applications of Transition Metals.
Teaching: course for BSc Life Science and Technology (Leiden/Delft): Inorganic Chemistry of Life.
Teaching: Course for MSc Chemistry Leiden University: Organometallic Chemistry and Homogeneous Catalysis.
Teaching: Contributions to courses for the national graduate school Holland Research School for Molecular Chemistry (HRSMC; Electrochemistry in “Physical Methods in Inorganic Chemisty”) and Netherlands Institute for Research in Catalysis (NIOK; Homogeneous Catalysis in “Catalysis, an integrated approach”).
Outreach: guest lectures for high school (Chemistry of transition metals; Chemistry of paint); lectures for children of elementary schools and refugee children in the ‘Junior Science Lab’ (What is Chemistry?).
Supervision of ~25 PhD students and >10 postdoctoral fellows since 1996. Current employment of recent PhD students and postdocs: E.C.M. Ording-Wenker, Avantium Chemicals; X. Liu, PD Leiden University; B. Limburg, PD Oxford University; S. Raoufmoghaddam, PD Oxford University; S. Akerboom, Nalco; T.J. Mooibroek, University of Amsterdam (Vidi grant); R. Angamuthu, assistant professor, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India; F. Terrade, Akzo Nobel; Y. Gloaguen, PD University of Amsterdam; J.A. van Rijn; Hexion Specialty Chemicals.
Other responsibilities since 2010
- Editorial board member for the European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry (2006-2016), Applied Organometallic Chemistry (since 2009).
- Board member General board of Leiden University Fund (LUF; since 2011)
- Board member of the Division of Inorganic Chemistry of EuCheMS (since 2012)
- Advisor for the 3rd EuCheMS Inorganic Chemistry Conference (Wroclaw, Poland, 2015).
- Board member of the study group Coordination Chemistry and Homogeneous Catalysis of the Dutch Chemical Sciences (CW; since 2014)
- Chairman/coordinator of the session “Coordination Chemistry” of the Dutch Conference on Catalysis (2013, 2015).
- Member of the Education committee of the graduate school NIOK (2005-2014).
- Member of the Exam Committee of the MSc programme Chemistry (2009-2013)
- Director of Education of the MSc programme Chemistry (since 2013)
- Member of the ‘Permanent Committee for Academic Practice’ (WECO; since 2014)
- Member of review panel for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), Academy of Finland.
- External member to PhD committees in Utrecht, Amsterdam, Nijmegen.
- Reviewer for Nature Communications, Angewandte Chemie, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Inorganic Chemistry, Organometallics, Dalton Transactions, Applied Catalysis A, ACS Catalysis and various inorganic chemistry journals.
Publication record including five recent representative publications
Over 180 papers with >3400 citations, H-index 29 (Web of Science); 3 book chapters, 11 patents
Full publication record: ResearcherID
- Liu X., Fu W.T., Bouwman E., One-step growth of lanthanoid metal-organic framework (MOF) films under solvothermal conditions for temperature sensing. Chem. Commun. 2016, 52(42) 6926-6929.
- Ording-Wenker E.C.M., Plas M. van der, Siegler M.A., Fonseca Guerra C., Bouwman E., Protonation of the biologically relevant CuII µ-thiolate complex: ligand dissociation or formation of a protonated CuI disulfide species? Chem. – Eur. J. 2014, 20, 16913-16921.
- Ording-Wenker E.C.M., Plas M. van der, Siegler M.A., Bonnet S.A., Bickelhaupt F.M., Fonseca Guerra C., Bouwman E., Thermodynamics of the CuII µ-thiolate and CuI disulfide equilibrium: a combined experimental and theoretical study. Inorg. Chem. 2014, 53, 8494-8504.
- Raoufmoghaddam S., Rood M.T.M., Buijze F.K.W., Drent E., Bouwman E., Catalytic Conversion of γ‑Valerolactone to ε-Caprolactam: towards Nylon from Renewable Feedstock. ChemSusChem. 2014, 7, 1984-1990.
- Raoufmoghaddam S., Drent E., Bouwman E., Chemo- and regioselective homogeneous rhodium-catalyzed hydroamidomethylation of terminal alkenes to N-alkylamides. ChemSusChem. 2013, 6, 1759-1773.
Outreach: Based on our publication in ChemSusChem (2014): news item at the website of Leiden University, in Mare (Leiden University paper; 4dec14; local newspaper Leidsch Dagblad (3dec14), chemical magazine C2W (19dec14), and an article in the popular science magazine Quest (issue March 2015).
Presentations including five presentations at international conferences since 2010
~20 invited presentations at universities, institutes and international conferences since 2010.
- Biomimetic Redox Reactions of the CuII Thiolate Complex; 3rd EuCheMS Inorganic Chemistry Conference, June 28-July 1, 2015, Wroclaw (Poland).
- Development of homogeneous catalysts for novel reactions involving CO and H2. Small Molecule Activation Conference, July 15-18, 2014, Chicago (USA).
- From Renewable Feedstock to “Green” Nylon: Catalytic Conversion of γ-Valerolactone to ε-Caprolactam; CatchBio International Open Symposium “New concepts in selective biomass conversions”, January 20-21, 2015, Aachen (Germany).
- Development of Homogeneous Catalysts for Novel Reactions; Reductive Amidation: a Reaction with Great Potential. 2nd EuCheMS Inorganic Chemistry Conference, July 7-11, 2013, Jerusalem (Israel).
- Copper compounds catching carbon dioxide. Gordon Research Conference Metals in Biology, January 30-February 4, 2011, Ventura (USA).