José has worked over 11 years on quantifying and modeling Earth system processes and their responses to human pressures
As a researcher with a doctorate in geochemistry, he has worked for over 11 years on quantifying and modeling Earth system processes and their responses to human pressures. He obtained his Ph.D. at Utrecht University and afterward worked as a researcher at the Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research, and at the NIOZ Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research. He has worked in several FP7 and H2020 projects and furthermore received a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship to research Coastal Hypoxia at Utrecht University in conjunction with the PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency.
His interests are quite broad, but generally pertain to quantifying the influence and the pressures that society inflicts on the environment. This involves understanding the global biogeochemical cycles of carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus and how the Anthropocene has affected the flows and stocks of these elements through various ecosystems and reservoirs. For this he uses a range of techniques, including statistical, process-based, and mass/flow-balance models.
- Mogollón J.M., Beusena A.H.W., Grinsven H.J.M van, Westhoek H. & Bowman A.F. (2018), Future agricultural phosphorus demand according to the shared socioeconomic pathways, Global Environmental Change 50: 149–163.
- Mogollon J.M., Lassaletta L., Beusen A.H.W., Grinseven H.J.M., Westhoek H. & Bouwman A.F. (2018), Assessing future reactive nitrogen inputs into global croplands based on the shared socioeconomic pathways, Environmental Research Letters 13(4): 044008.
- Liu X., Beusen A..H.W., Beek L.P.H..van, Mogollón J.M., Ran X. & Bouwman A..F. (2018), Exploring spatiotemporal changes of the Yangtze River (Changjiang) nitrogen and phosphorus sources, retention and export to the East China Sea and Yellow Sea, Water Research 142: 246--255.
- Vilmin L., Mogollón J..M., Beusen A.H.W. & Bouwman A.F. (2018), Forms and subannual variability of nitrogen and phosphorus loading to global river networks over the 20th century, Global and Planetary Change 163: 67-85.
- Egger M., Riedinger N., Mogollón J.M. & Jorgensen B.B. (2018), Global diffusive fluxes of methane in marine sediments, Nature Geoscience 11(6): 421--425.
- Kuhn G., Hillenbrand C.-D., Kasten S., Smith J.A., Nitsche F.O., Frederichs T., Wiers S., Ehrmann W., Klages J.P. & Mogollón J.M. (2017), Evidence for a palaeo-subglacial lake on the Antarctic continental shelf, Nature Communications 8: 15591.
- Zhang J., Beusen A.H.W., Apeldoorn D.F. van, Mogollón J.M., Yu C. & Bouwman A.F. (2017), Spatiotemporal dynamics of soil phosphorus and crop uptake in global cropland during the 20th century, Biogeosciences 14(8): 2055-2068.
- Egger M., Hagens M., Sapart C.J., Dijkstra N., Helmond N.A.G.M., Mogollón J.M., Risgaard-Petersen N., Veen C., Kasten S., Riedinger N., Böttcher M.E., Röckmann T., Jorgensen B.B. & Slomp C.P. (2017), Iron oxide reduction in methane-rich deep Baltic Sea sediments, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 207: 256-276.
- Galic A., Mason P.R.D., Mogollón J.M., Wolthers M., Vroon P.Z. & Whitehouse M.J. (2017), Pyrite in a sulfate-poor Paleoarchean basin was derived predominantly from elemental sulfur: Evidence from 3.2 Ga sediments in the Barberton Greenstone Belt, Kaapvaal Craton, Chemical Geology 449: 135-146.
- Oehler T., Mogollón J.M., Moosdorf N., Winkler A., Kopf A. & Pichler T. (2017), Submarine groundwater discharge within a landslide scar at the French Mediterranean coast, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 198(Part A): 128-137.
No relevant ancillary activities