Graphene – a one atom thin material – has the potential to act as a sensor, primarily the surface and the edges of graphene. Gregory Schneider aims at exploring new chemical and biological sensing routes by exploiting the unique surface and edge chemistry of graphene.
Date of birth: 3 May 1978
2005 PhD, Institute Charles Sadron, University of Strasbourg, France, 6 December 2005 (cum laude)
Thesis title: ‘Functionalization of gold nanoparticle for biomedical use’
Advisor: Prof. G. Decher
2002 MSc in Chemistry and Physics of Polymers, Materials and Surfaces, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Strasbourg, France
Current and previous research positions
2013 - now Tenure track Assistant Professor, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University
2009 - 2013 Postdoctoral researcher, Delft University of Technology, Kavli Institute of Nanoscience, Department of Bionanoscience (Prof. Dr. C. Dekker)
2006 - 2009 Postdoctoral researcher at Harvard University, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology (Prof. Whitesides)
Grants, awards, recognitions since 2010
2014 EU ERC Starting Grant (k€ 1,500)
2014 NWO-CW Vidi Grant (k€ 800)
2014 Huygens fellowship for a LIC-LION joined PhD student
2013 EU KBBE DECATHLON (co-applicant, k€ 110)
Contribution to teaching and supervision
- Course for MSc Chemistry/Life Science and Technology at Leiden University: Bionanotechnology
Current group composed of 8 PhD students, 4 postdoctoral fellows (1 Veni fellow, 2 SNSF fellows) and 4 interns.
Other responsibilities since 2010
- Guest editor of three peer-reviewed journal: MDPI Biosensors, MDPI Sensors, Flatchem
- Reviewer for Nature Communication, Angewandte Chemie, Journal of the American Chemical Society, APL, Nano Letters, Biosensors and Bioelectronic, IEEE Nanotechnology, ACS Physical Chemistry
- Editor for Pan Stanford Publishing
Publication record including five recent representative publications
- Lima L., Fu W., Jiang L., Schneider G.F., Graphene-stabilized lipid monolayer heterostructures: a novel biomembrane superstructure. Nanoscale. 2016, in press, cover.
- Fu W., Jiang L., Geest E. van, Lima L., Schneider G.F., Biochemical sensing with graphene surfaces. Advanced Materials. 2016, in press.
- Arjmandi-Tash H., Belyaeva L., Schneider G.F., Single molecule detection with graphene and other two-dimensional materials: nanopores and beyond. Chemical Society Reviews, 2016, 45, 476-493.
- Schneider G.F., Dekker C., DNA sequencing with nanopores. Nature Biotechnology, 2012, 30, 326-328.
- Schneider G.F., Kowalcyk S.K., Calado V.E., Pandraud G., Zandbergen H., Vandersypen L.M.K., Dekker C., DNA translocation through graphene nanopores. Nano Lett. 2010, 10, 3163-3167.
Presentations including five presentations at international conferences since 2010
- 2011: March, EU Commission, Graphene 2020, Invited by Marcin Sadowski, Graphene nanopores for DNA sequencing; May, TU Delft, Department of Chemical Engineering, Invited by Prof. Michiel Kreutzer, Graphene bionanoscience and engineering: Toward single molecule DNA sequencing; July, NT11 graphene satellite meeting on graphene applications, Invited by the Nobel Laureate of Physics 2010, Prof. Kostya Novoselov, Toward single molecule DNA sequencing with graphene; 2011, September, Utrecht University, Invited by Prof. Albert Philipse, Opportunities for graphene in colloidal chemistry
- 2012: June, Graphene week, Invited by LMK Vandersypen, Graphene bionanoscience: towards the detection of single-stranded DNA in crystalline graphene nanopore; September, GraphEL conference, Mykonos, GR (plenary, conference opening), Invited by Prof. Costas Galiolis, Graphene bionanoscience and engineering: detecting DNA with graphene; October, University of Mons, BE, Invited by Prof. Carla Bittencourt, Chemistry and graphene: what are the new opportunities?
- 2014: April, NanoTP conference, Nantes, FR, Invited by Prof. Chris Ewels, Graphene nanopores and biointerfaces: Sequencing biomolecules with graphene?; June, Graphene week, Gottenburg, SE (contributing), Tailoring the hydrophobicity of graphene; September, GRD-I Graphene nanotubes, Strasbourg, FR, Invited by Prof. Annick Loiseau, Graphene sensors: chemistry matters; October, IUMRS, Haikou, CN (keynote), Invited by Prof. Wang, Single molecule detection with graphene: Nanopore and beyond
- 2015: May, Noordwijk, RME Rapid methods, Invited by Dr. Kok, Graphene a next generation sequencing material?; October: NanoBioMed, Barcelona, SP, Invited by Prof. Correia, Single molecule graphene biosensors: chemistry matters; November: Science meets business, Leiden, NL, Next generation sequencing with graphene; November, TechTalks Biomaterials, Leiden, NL, Is graphene a biomaterial? November, RAFA conference, Prague, CZ, Focus session on DNA analysis; December, GRDI Graphene and carbon nanotubes, Grenoble, FR, Invited by Prof. Bouchiat Sensing with graphene beyond the Debye screening length
- 2016: October, ICLON, Leiden, “Quantum chemistry in water”; November, Rapid Methods Europe (RME), Amsterdam, NL, Invited by Dr. Kok, Zero depth pore nanocapillary: thinner than graphene; November, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Rennes RTC 2016, Chemical nanotechnology in Leiden: DNA sequencing with graphene, invited by Prof. Noiret; December, 2nd global conference on Nanotechnology, Las Vegas, USA, Opportunities in nanopore technologies for DNA sequencing applications, Invited by Dr. Sekha
- Bellunato A., Vrbica S., Sabater Piqueres C., Vos E.W. de, Fermin R., Kanneworff K.N., Galli F., Ruitenbeek J.M. van & Schneider G.F. (2018), Dynamic tunneling junctions at the atomic intersection of two twisted graphene edges, Nano Letters 18(4): 2505-2510.
- Belyaeva L., Deursen P.M.G. van, Barbetsea K.I. & Schneider G.F. (2018), Hydrophilicity of graphene in water through transparency to polar and dispersive interactions, Advanced materials 30(6): 1703274.
- Macedo Coelho Lima L., Arjmandi Tash, H. & Schneider G.F. (2018), Lateral Non-covalent Clamping of Graphene at the Edges Using a Lipid Scaffold, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 10(13): 11328–11332.
- Jiang L., Fu W., Birdja Y.Y., Koper M.T.M. & Schneider G.F. (2018), Quantum and electrochemical interplays in hydrogenated graphene, Nature Communications 9: 793.
- Bijoyendra B., Shahidzadeh N., Himanshu M., Belyaeva L., Schneider G.F. & Bonn D. (2018), Wetting of water on graphene nanopowders of different thicknesses, Applied Physics Letters 112: 151606.
- Arjmandi Tash H., Bellunato A., Wen C., Olsthoorn R.R.C.L., Scheicher R.H., Zhang S.L. & Schneider G.F. (2018), Zero-Depth Interfacial Nanopore Capillaries, Advanced materials 30(9): 1703602.
- Fu W., Dijkman T.F. van, Macedo Coelho Lima L., Jiang F., Schneider G.F. & Bouwman E. (2017), Ultrasensitive Ethene Detector Based on a Graphene-Copper(I) Hybrid Material, Nano Letters 17(12): 7980-7988.
- Belyaeva L., Deursen P.M.G. van, Barbetsea K.I. & Schneider G.F. (2018), Hydrophilicity of Graphene in Water through Transparency to Polar and Dispersive Interactions, Advanced materials 30(6): 1703274.
- Arjmandi-Tash H., Lebedev N., Deursen P.M.G. van, Aarts J. & Schneider G.F. (2017), Hybrid cold and hot-wall reaction chamber for the rapid synthesis of uniform graphene, Carbon 118: 438-442.
- Fu W., Jiang L., Geest E.P. van, Macedo Coelho Lima L. & Schneider G.F. (2017), Molecular sensing at the surface of graphene field-effect transistors, Advanced materials 29(6): 1603610.
- Arjmandi Tash H., Jiang L. & Schneider G.F. (2017), Rupture index: A quantitative measure of sub-micrometer cracks in graphene, Carbon 118: 556-560.
- Kong L., Poulcharidis D., Schneider G.F., Campbell F. & Kros A. (2017), Spatiotemporal Control of Doxorubicin Delivery from “Stealth-Like” Prodrug Micelles, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SCIENCES 18(10): 2033.
- Fu W., Jiang .L, Geest E.P. van, Macedo Coelho Lima L. & Schneider G.F. (2017), Sensing at the Surface of Graphene Field-Effect Transistors, ADVANCED MATERIALS 29(6): 1603610.
- Dijkman T.F. van, Bouwman E., Fu W. & Schneider G.F. (2016), A device for the highly sensitive detection of a gaseous analyte ( octrooi nr. PCT/EP2016/052941), (Leiden University). [patent]
- Bellunato A., Arjmandi Tash H., Cesa Y. & Schneider G.F. (2016), Chemistry at the edges of graphene, Chemical Physics Chemistry 17(6): 785-801.
- Macedo Coelho Lima L., Fu W., Jiang L., Kros A. & Schneider G.F. (2016), Graphene-stablized lipid monolayer heterostructures: a novel biomembrane superstructure, Nanoscale 8(44): 18646-18653.
- Belyaeva L., Fu W., Arjmandi Tash A. & Schneider G.F. (2016), Molecular caging of graphene with cyclohexane: transfer and electrical transport, ACS Central Science 2(12): 204-209.
- Arjmandi, H.; Belyaeva, L.; Schneider & G.F. (2016), Single molecule detection with graphene and other two-dimensional materials: nanopores and beyond, CHEMICAL SOCIETY REVIEWS 45(3): 476-493.
- Heerema S., Schneider G., Rozemuller M., Vicarelli L., Zandbergen H. & Dekker C. (2015), 1/f Noise in Graphene nanopores, Nanotechnology 26(7): 074001.
- Ferrari A.C., Bonaccorso F., Falko V., Novoselov K.S., Roche S., Bøggild P., Borini S., Koppens F.H., Palermo V., Pugno N., Garrido J.A., Sordan R., Bianco A., Ballerini L., Prato M., Lidorikis E., Kivioja J., Marinelli C., Ryhänen T., Morpurgo A., Coleman J.N., Nicolosi V., Colombo L., Fert A., Garcia-Hernandez M., Bachtold A., Schneider G.F., Guinea F., Dekker C., Barbone M., Sun Z., Galiotis C., Grigorenko A.N., Konstantatos G., Kis A., Katsnelson M., Vandersypen L., Loiseau A., Morandi V., Neumaier D., Treossi E., Pellegrini V., Polini M., Tredicucci A., Williams G.M., Hong B.H., Ahn J.H., Kim JM., Zirath H., van Wees B.J., van der Zant H., Occhipinti L., Di Matteo A., Kinloch I.A., Seyller T., Quesnel E., Feng X., Teo K., Rupesinghe N., Hakonen P., Neil S.R., Tannock Q., Löfwander T. & Kinaret J. (2015), Science and technology roadmap for graphene, related two-dimensional Crystals and hybrid systems, Nanoscale 7(11): 4598-4810.
- Garza HHP, Kievit EW, Schneider GF & Staufer U (2014), Controlled, Reversible, and Nondestructive Generation of Uniaxial Extreme Strains (> 10%) in Graphene, Nano Letters 14(7): 4107-4113.
- Perez-Garza H.H., Kievit E.W., Schneider G.F. & Staufer U. (2014), Highly strained graphene samples of varying thickness and comparison of their behaviour, Nanotechnology 25: 465708.
- Perez-Garza H.H., Kievit E.W., Schneider G.F. & Staufer U. (2014), Highly strained graphene ssamples of varying thickness and comparison of their behaviour, Nanotechnology 25(46): 465708.
- Kekicheff Patrick, Schneider Gregory F. & Decher Gero (2013), Size-Controlled Polyelectrolyte Complexes: Direct Measurement of the Balance of Forces Involved in the Triggered Collapse of Layer-by-Layer Assembled Nanocapsules, LANGMUIR 29(34): 10713-10726.
- Xu Qiang, Wu Meng-Yue, Schneider Gregory F., Houben Lothar, Malladi Sairam K., Dekker Cees, Yucelen Emrah, Dunin-Borkowski Rafal E. & Zandbergen Henny W. (2013), Controllable Atomic Scale Patterning of Freestanding Monolayer Graphene at Elevated Temperature, ACS Nano 7(2): 1566-1572.
- Schneider G.F., Xu Q., Hage S., Luik S., Spoor J.H.N., Malladi S., Zandbergen H. & Dekker C. (2013), Tailoring the hydrophobicity of graphene for its use as nanophores for DNA translocation, Nature Communications 4: 2619.
- Schneider G.F., Xu Q., Luik S., Hage S., Spoor J.N.H., Malladi S., Zandbergen H.W. & Dekker C. (2013), Tailoring the surface chemistry and hydrophobicity of graphene nanopores, Nature Communications 4: 2619.