Darinka Piqani lectures EU law and conducts research in the field of European constitutional law.
Extension number: 8870
Dr Darinka Piqani lectures EU law and conducts research in the field of European constitutional law at the Europa Institute in Leiden.
Darinka graduated in 2004 with distinction from the Faculty of Law of Tirana University, Albania. During her studies she worked as a legal intern for the Albanian Helsinki Committee, did voluntary work for the Albanian Red Cross and was a member of the Albanian National Debate Association. Afterwards, she worked for one year as a practising lawyer in one of the leading law firms in Albania.
In 2006, on a full scholarship from the Soros Foundation, Darinka obtained her LLM degree at the Legal Studies Department of Central European University (Budapest) in comparative constitutional law, specialising in EU law. Afterwards, she pursued her doctoral studies at the Law Department of the European University Institute (Florence) and worked on her PhD thesis entitled 'Supremacy of EU Law and the Jurisprudence of Constitutional Reservations in Central Eastern Europe and the Western Balkans: Towards a "Holistic" Constitutionalism'. Darinka successfully defended her thesis in June 2010 and afterwards she moved to the Netherlands.
Since August 2011 she has taught EU law at the Europa Institue of Leiden Law School and since April 2014 at the Leiden University College in the Hague. Darinka has also been teaching in the field of human rights law at the Faculty of Humanities of Leiden University. She also worked as assistant to the editors of the Common Market Law Review.
- Faculty Governance and Global Affairs
- Leiden University College
- Piqani D. (2020), The Rule of Law Paradox in the 2016 Constitutional Amendments in Albania. In: Belavusau, U.; Gliszczyńska-Grabias, A. (Eds.) Constitutionalism under Stress: Essays in Honour of Wojciech Sadurski. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 95-110.
- Piqani D. (1 July 2019), A never-ending story: EU postpones decision on negotiations with Albania and North Macedonia. Leiden Law Blog [blog entry].
- Piqani D. (2019), In Search of Limits for the Protection of National Identities as a Member State Interest. In: Varju M. (Ed.) Between Compliance and Particularism. Member State Interests and European Union Law. Cham: Springer. 21-47.
- Pirdeni A. & Piqani D. (2017), Constitutional Court of the Republic of Albania. In: Grote R., Lachenmann F., Wolfrum R. (Eds.) Max Planck Encyclopedia of Comparative Constitutional Law. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Piqani D. (2017), Relation of Constitutional Courts / Supreme Courts to EU Courts. In: Grote R., Lachenmann F., Wolfrum R. (Eds.) Max Planck Encyclopedia of Comparative Constitutional Law. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Piqani D. (2016), Legal Risks in the Relation Between National Constitutional Law and EU Law. In: Mišćenić E., Raccah A. (Eds.) Legal Risks in EU Law: Interdisciplinary Studies on Legal Risk Management and Better Regulation in Europe. Cham: Springer. 23-41.
- Piqani D. (2016), The Simmenthal revolution revisited: what role for constitutional courts?. In: Witte B. de, Mayoral J.A., Jaremba U., Wind M., Podstawa K. (Eds.) National Courts and EU Law. New Issues, Theories and Methods. Judicial Review and Cooperation Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Limited. 26-48.
- Piqani D. (29 June 2015), The ECJ upholds the ECB’s bond buying programme: Preliminary reflections on the judgment of the Court in the Case C-62/14. Centre for Social Sciences – Lendület-HPOPs Research Group. Budapest: Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Centre for Social Sciences [blog entry].
- Piqani D. (2012), Arguments for a Holistic Approach in European Constitutionalism: What Role for National Institutions in Avoiding Constitutional Conflicts between National Constitutions and EU law, European Constitutional Law Review 8(3).
- Piqani D. (2012), The Role of National Constitutional Courts in Issues of Compliance. In: Cremona M. (Ed.) Compliance and the Enforcement of EU Law. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Piqani D. (11 June 2010), Supremacy of EU Law and the Jurisprudence of Constitutional Reservations in Central Eastern Europe and the Western Balkans: Towards a ‘Holistic’ Constitutionalism (PhD thesis, Law Department, European University Institute). Supervisor(s): Prof. Wojciech Sadurski.
- Piqani D. (2010), Albania and its Struggle to Consolidate Democracy. In: Morlino L., Sadurski W. (Eds.) Democratization and the European Union. Comparing Central and Eastern European Post-Communist Countries.: Routledge.
- Piqani D. (2008), Constitutional Issues of Pre-Accession: From Central Eastern Europe to South Eastern Europe, Diritto Pubblico Comparato ed Europeo (IV).
- Piqani D. (2007), Constitutional Courts in Central and Eastern Europe and their attitude towards European integration, European Journal of Legal Studies 1(2).
No relevant ancillary activities