Professor of Neuroscience of Social Relations
Berna Güroğlu is full professor in the Developmental and Educational Psychology unit of the Institute of Psychology at Leiden University.
“Social interactions form the cornerstone of relationships which are among the most significant social developmental contexts across the life span.”
Berna Güroğlu is full professor in the Developmental and Educational Psychology unit of the Leiden University – Institute for Psychological Research. She received her BA in mathematics at Koç University and MA in developmental psychology at Boğaziçi University in Istanbul, Turkey. In 2008 she received her PhD cum laude in developmental psychology at Radboud University Nijmegen with her thesis investigating the development of peer relationships (friendships, based on mutual likes, and antipathy relationships, based on mutual dislikes) in school classes of children and adolescents. Subsequently she joined the Brain and Development Research Center in Leiden University as a postdoctoral researcher examining the neurocognitive development of social decision-making using economic exchange paradigms and brain imaging techniques. In 2010 she received a NWO-VENI grant for her project investigating the neural mechanisms of social interactions with peers. She was promoted to assistant professor in 2010, to associate professor in 2014 and to full professor in 2018.
Her research line relates to brain development and neural processes involved in social and emotional development across childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood. She incorporates measures of dyadic peer relationships and social networks (e.g., sociometrics) with neuroimaging methods to investigate the neural correlates of functioning in the context of peer relationships in adolescence. She is currently a leading investigator for her project within the starting impulse grant of the National Research Agenda (NWA) where she examines the anti-bullying programs in the Netherlands and the neural and physiological underpinnings of chronic victimization.
For CV, publication list and full details of her research program, see Brain and Development Lab.
- Schreuders E., Smeekens S., Cillessen A.H.N. & Güroglu B. (2019), Friends and foes: Neural correlates of prosocial decisions with peers in adolescence, Neuropsychologia 129: 153-163.
- Du Plessis M.R., Smeekens S., Cillessen A.H.N., Whittle S. & Güroğlu B. (2019), Bullying the brain? Longitudinal links between childhood peer victimization, cortisol, and adolescent brain structure, Frontiers in Psychology 9: e02706.
- Meuwese R., Braams B.R. & Güroğlu B. (2018), What lies beneath peer acceptance in adolescence? Exploring the role of Nucleus Accumbens responsivity to self-serving and vicarious rewards, Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 34: 124-129.
- Spaans J.P., Will G.-J., Van Hoorn J. & Güroğlu B. (2019), Turning a Blind Eye? Punishment of Friends and Unfamiliar Peers After Observed Exclusion in Adolescence, Journal of Research on Adolescence .
- Van den Bos W., Crone E.A., Meuwese R. & Güroğlu B (2018), Social network cohesion in school classes promotes prosocial behavior, PLoS ONE 13(4): e0194656.
- Schreuders E., Braams B.R., Blankenstein N.E., Peper J.S., Güroğlu B. & Crone E.A. (2018), Contributions of Reward Sensitivity to Ventral Striatum Activity Across Adolescence and Early Adulthood, Child Development 89(3): 797-810.
- Schreuders E., Klapwijk E.T., Will G.J & Güroğlu B. (2018), Friend versus foe: Neural correlates of prosocial decisions for liked and disliked peers, Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience 18(1): 127-142.
- Will G.J., Crone E.A.M., Van Lier P.A.C. & Güroğlu B. (2018), Longitudinal links between childhood peer acceptance and the neural correlates of sharing, Developmental Science 21(1): e12489.
- Meuwese R., Cillessen A.H.N. & Güroğlu B. (2017), Friends in high places: a dyadic perspective on peer status as predictor of friendship quality and the mediating role of empathy and prosocial behavior, Social Development 26(3): 503-519.
- Sul S., Güroğlu B., Crone E.A.M. & Chang L.J. (2017), Medial prefrontal cortical thinning mediates shifts in other-regarding preferences during adolescence, Scientific Reports 7: 8510.
- Klapwijk E.T., Bos W. van den & Güroğlu B. (2017), Neural mechanisms of criminal decision making in adolescence: The roles of executive functioning and empathy. In: Bernasco W., Elffers H., Gelder J.L. van (Eds.) Oxford Handbook of Offender Decision Making. Oxford Handbooks Online New York: Oxford University Press. 246-267.
- Overgaauw S., Rieffe C.J., Broekhof E., Crone E.A.M. & Güroğlu B. (2017), Assessing Empathy across Childhood and Adolescence: Validation of the Empathy Questionnaire for Children and Adolescents (EmQue-CA), Frontiers in Psychology 8(870): 1-9.
- Tamnes C.K., Herting M.M., Goddings A.L., Meuwese R., Blakemore S.J., Dahl R.E., Güroğlu B., Raznahan A., Sowell E.R., Crone E.A.M. & Mills K.L. (2017), Development of the cerebral cortex across adolescence: A multisample study of inter-related longitudinal changes in cortical volume, surface area, and thickness, Journal of Neuroscience 37(12): 3402-3412.
- Mills K.L., Goddings A.L., Herting M.M., Meuwese R., Blakemore S.J., Crone E.A.M., Dahl R.E., Güroğlu B., Raznahan A., Sowell E.R. & Tamnes C. K. (2016), Structural brain development between childhood and adulthood: Convergence across four longitudinal samples, NeuroImage 141: 273-281.
- Rieffe C., Broekhof E., Kouwenberg M., Faber J., Tsutsui M.M. & Güroğlu B. (2016), Disentangling proactive and reactive aggression in children using self-report, European Journal of Developmental Psychology 13(4): 439-451.
- Will G.J., Crone E.A.M., Van Lier P.A.C. & Güroğlu B. (2016), Neural correlates of retaliatory and prosocial reactions to social exclusion: Associations with chronic peer rejection, Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 2016(19): 288-297.
- Will G.J., Van Lier P.A., Crone E.A. & Güroğlu B. (2016), Chronic childhood peer rejection is associated with heightened neural responses to social exclusion during adolescence., Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 44(1): 43-55.
- Will G.J. & Güroğlu B. (2016), A neurocognitive perspective on the development of social decision-making. In: Reuter M., Montag C. (Eds.) Neuroeconomics. Studies in Neuroscience, Psychology and Behavioral Economics Berlin: Springer-Verlag. 293-309.
- Will G.J. & Güroğlu B. (2016), A neurocognitive perspective on the development of social decision-making. In: Reuter M., Montag C. (Eds.) Neuroeconomics. Neuroeconomics, Studies in Neuroscience, Psychology and Behavioral Economics Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. 293-309.
- Van Hoorn J., Van Dijk E., Güroğlu B. & Crone E.A. (2016), Neural correlates of prosocial peer influence on public goods game donations during adolescence, Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 11(6): 923-933.
- Zanolie K., De Cremer D., Güroğlu B. & Crone E.A. (2015), Rejection in Bargaining Situations: An Event-Related Potential Study in Adolescents and Adults, PLoS ONE 10(10): e0139953.
- Will G.J., Crone E.A. & Güroğlu B. (2015), Acting on social exclusion: neural correlates of punishment and forgiveness of excluders, Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 10(2): 209-218.
- Meuwese R., Crone E.A., De Rooij M. & Güroğlu B. (2015), Development of equity preferences in boys and girls across adolescence, Eğitim Bilimleri Araştırmaları Dergisi 86(1): 145-158.
- Sellaro R., Güroğlu B., Nitsche M.A., Van den Wildenberg W.P.M., Massaro V., Durieux J., Hommel B. & Colzato L.S. (2015), Increasing the role of belief information in moral judgments by stimulating the right temporoparietal junction, Neuropsychologia 77: 400-408.
- Overgaauw S., Güroğlu B., Rieffe C. & Crone E.A. (2014), Behavior and Neural Correlates of Empathy in Adolescents, DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROSCIENCE 36(3-4): 210-219.
- Braams B.R., Peters S., Peper J.S., Güroğlu B. & Crone E.A. (2014), Gambling for self, friends, and antagonists: differential contributions of affective and social brain regions on adolescent reward processing, NEUROIMAGE 100: 281-289.
- Güroğlu B., Will G.J. & Crone E.A. (2014), Neural correlates of advantageous and disadvantageous inequity in sharing decisions, PLoS ONE 9(9): e107996.
- Güroğlu B., Van den Bos W. & Crone E.A. (2014), Sharing and giving across adolescence: An experimental study examining the development of prosocial behavior, Frontiers in Psychology 5: e291.
- Van den Bos W., Vahl P., Güroğlu B., Van Nunspeet F., Colins O., Markus M., Rombouts S.A.R.B., Van der Wee N., Vermeiren R. & Crone E.A. (2014), Neural correlates of social decision-making in severely antisocial adolescents, Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 9(12): 2059-2066.
- Crone E.A., Will G.J., Overgaauw S. & Güroğlu B. (2014), Social decision-making in childhood and adolescence. In: Lange P.A.M. van, Rockenbach B., Yamagishi T. (Eds.) Reward and Punishment in Social Dilemmas. New York: Oxford University Press. 161-181.
- Will G.J., Van den Bos W., Crone E.A. & Güroğlu B. (2013), Acting on observed social exclusion: Developmental perspectives on punishment of excluders and compensation of victims, Developmental Psychology 49(12): 2236-2244.
- Braams B.R., Güroğlu B., De Water E., Meuwese R, Koolschijn P.C., Peper J.S. & Crone E.A. (2014), Reward-related neural responses are dependent on the beneficiary, Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 9(7): 1030-1037.
- Lelieveld G. -J., Van Dijk E., Güroğlu B., Van Beest I., Van Kleef G.A., Rombouts S.A.R.B. & Crone E.A. (2013), Behavioral and neural reactions to emotions of others in the distribution of resources, Social Neuroscience 8(1): 52-62.
- Crone E.A. & Güroğlu B. (2013), Development of emotion and social reasoning in adolescence. In: Ochsner K.N., Kosslyn, S. (Eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Cognitive Neuroscience. Oxford handbooks series Oxford: Oxford University Press. chapter 8.
- Güroğlu B., Will G.J. & Klapwijk E.T. (2013), Some bullies are more equal than others: Peer relationships modulate altruistic punishment of bullies after observing ostracism, International Journal of Developmental Science 7: 13-23.
- Van den Bos W., Crone E.A. & Güroğlu B. (2012), Brain function during probabilistic learning in relation to IQ and level of education, Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 2(S1): S78-S89.
- Overgaauw S., Güroğlu B. & Crone E.A. (2012), Fairness considerations when I know more than you do: Developmental comparisons, Frontiers in Developmental Psychology 3: 1-8.
- Gunther Moor B., Op de Macks Z.A., Güroğlu B., Rombouts S.A.R.B., Van der Molen M.W. & Crone E.A. (2012), Neurodevelopmental changes of reading the mind in the eyes, Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 7(1): 44-52.
- Gunther Moor B., Güroğlu B., Op de Macks Z.A., Rombouts S.A.R.B., Van der Molen M.W. & Crone E.A. (2012), Social exclusion and punishment of excluders: Neural correlates and developmental trajectories, NEUROIMAGE 59(1): 708-717.
- Güroğlu B., Cillessen A.H.N., Haselager G.J.T. & Van Lieshout C.F.M. (2012), "Tell me who your friends are and I’ll tell you who your friends will be”: Consistency and change in social competence in adolescent friendships across school transitions, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships 29(7): 861-863.
- Radke S., Güroğlu B. & De Bruijn E.R.A. (2012), There’s something about a fair split: Intentionality moderates context-based fairness considerations in social decisionmaking, PLoS ONE 7(2): e31491.
- Güroğlu B., Van den Bos W., Van Dijk E., Rombouts S.A.R.B. & Crone E.A. (2011), Dissociable brain networks involved indevelopment of fairness considerations: Understanding intentionality behind unfairness, NEUROIMAGE 57(2): 634-641.
- Op de Macks Z.A., Gunther Moor B., Overgaauw S., Güroğlu B., Dahl R. & Crone E.A. (2011), Testosterone levels correspond with increased ventral striatum activation in response to monetary rewards in adolescents, Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 1(4): 506-516.
- Güroğlu B., Bos W. v.d., Rombouts S.A.R.B. & Crone E.A. (2010), Unfair? It depends: Neural correlates of fairness in social context, Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 5(4): 414-423.
- Güroğlu B., Haselager G.J.T., Lieshout C.F.M. van & Scholte R.H.J. (2009), Antagonists in Mutual Antipathies: A person-oriented approach, Journal of Research on Adolescence 19(1): 35-46.
- Bos W. v.d., Güroğlu B., Bulk B.G. van den, Rombouts S.A.R.B. & Crone E.A. (2009), Better than expected or as bad as you thought? The neurocognitive development of probabilistic feedback processing, FRONTIERS IN HUMAN NEUROSCIENCE 3(52): 1-11.
- Güroğlu B., Bos W. v.d. & Crone E.A. (2009), Fairness considerations: Increasing understanding of intentionality during adolescence, Journal of Experimental Child Psychology 104(4): 398-409.
- Güroğlu B., Bos W. v.d. & Crone E.A. (2009), Neural correlates of social decision making and relationships: A developmental perspective, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1167: 197-206.
- Bos W. v.d. & Güroğlu B. (2009), The role of the ventral medial prefrontal cortex in social decision making, Journal of Neuroscience 29(24): 7631-7632.
- Güroğlu B., Haselager G.J.T., Lieshout C.F.M. van, Takashima A., Rijpkema M. & Fernández G. (2008), Why are friends special? Implementing a social interaction simulation task to probe the neural correlates of friendship., NEUROIMAGE 39(2): 903-910.
No relevant ancillary activities