School Psychology (MSc)
- Part of
- Psychology (MSc)
The mission of this new master specialisation in School Psychology is to create positive learning environments to support talent development and potential for learning in all students regardless of their initial intellectual level and mental health problems.
I find it fascinating to learn about the developing brain and how this development relates to the behaviour of children and adolescents. I am eager to know how we can enhance the development and the learning ability of children. That was also the reason why I chose the Master specialisation School Psychology.
4th year Bachelor Student
I decided I want to switch my focus to the child's perspective. That’s why School Psychology caught my interest.
'I’m a 4th year bachelor student in Social Work at the University of Applied Science in Leiden. I did an internship as a social worker at a district team and a minor in parenting and prevention. That was all from the perspective of the parent.'
'I think it will be a little bit the same, but with more skills and theory in diagnostics.'
What does this master programme entail?
Leiden University is the only Dutch university that offers a full master’s specialisation in School Psychology. A unique feature of our programme is the mix of a focus on supporting all school pupils to do well academically and emotionally as well as a focus on youths with special needs (e.g., behavior or learning difficulties).
This master's specialisation was first offered in 2016-2017. It responds to and prepares our students for a number of recent changes in the care for children and adolescents. In many countries, schools are increasingly being held responsible for an optimal development of all students, including those with special needs. In the Netherlands, new legislation concerning Inclusive Education (‘Wet op Passend Onderwijs’) and Youth Care (‘Jeugdwet’) has been passed. It is to be expected that schools (primary and secondary) will consult or hire more specialists, such as school psychologists, in order to meet the criteria for inclusive education, for teacher training, and for developing school policy.
Why study School Psychology at Leiden University?
• Leiden University is the only institution in the Netherlands where you can study this master specialisation.
• A broad perspective is offered, by not only focussing on the learning experience of students, but also on those who encounter problems. Therefore you will work with students, parents, teachers and other institutions, which makes it a very diverse workfield.
• Schoolpsychologist are internationally recognised as crucial key figures within education, who dedicate themselves to policy and training, but also to diagnostics and student guidance.
• In the Netherlands, the demand for psychologists who are specialised in education is increasing, because of (new) legislations that are currently being implemented, such as the law for Inclusive Education ('de Wet op Passend Onderwijs') and the Youth Care Law ('Jeugdwet').
Is School Psychology the programme for you?
School Psychology could be the right program for you, if:
- You enjoy working with children or adolescents.
- You have an eye for the bigger picture, but are also capable of providing care at an individual level.
- You are capable of or are interested in integrating psychological, administrative and legal knowledge for good work results.