Institute for History
The Leiden University Institute for History welcomes visiting researchers, lecturers and professors from outside Leiden University that wish to conduct research or teach at the institute.
If you would like to be a visiting researcher at the Institute for History please first contact a senior staff member or (potential) supervisor for approval. For this you can visit our staff overview on the website. After approval has been given, the request will be assessed by the Management Team of the Institute. The eligibility of candidates will be considered in light of their past performance and the extent to which their planned project relates to the research specialisations of the institute. Admission furthermore depends on the length of the intended stay and the availability of a workplace (if desired).
In order to arrange all the formalities, please submit your application for guest research at least four months before the planned stay to the management of the Institute for History, via Prof. Dr. Michiel van Groesen. The application should include a cv and a cover letter.
Options for guest visit
1) Long period guest stay with a personal workplace (desk and PC) and a full Leiden University account (including e-mail, all software, Wi-Fi and (digital) library access).
- for longer periods, from 3 months to 12 months or longer;
- fee is EUR 800,- (VAT excluded) per semester (6 months);
- a workplace depends on availability. In case a workplace is not wanted or available, the fee will be lowered.
2) Short period guest stay without a workplace and with a guest account (no e-mail, limited software, including Wi-Fi and (digital) library access).
- for a maximum period of 3 months;
- reduced fee.
Researchers from outside the EU
Researchers from outside the European Union, including PhD students and lecturers, who want to stay longer than a regular visa permits, need a valid working permit in order to work at the Institute for History. More information can be found on the website of the Service Centre International Staff.