Institute of Security and Global Affairs
Visiting Scholar Scheme
The Visiting Scholar Scheme at the Institute of Security and Global Affairs welcomes applicants from early career to professors to join us for a maximum period of 3 months in The Hague.
The Institute of Security and Global Affairs (ISGA) focuses on multidisciplinary research and education within the international scientific field of security studies. The Institute seeks to address global security and global challenges from an interdisciplinary, multi-level and transboundary perspective in the areas of Terrorism & Political Violence, Cyber Security Governance, Diplomacy & Global Affairs, Governance of Crises, Intelligence & Security and Physical Violence & Public Order.
We welcome applications from visiting scholars, including PhD candidates, (postdoc) researchers and academic staff (professors, associate professors, assistant professors, or equivalents of these ranks) for a period of maximum 3 months. Visitors must have a strong research profile as measured against their career stage. Their work must be of high quality, as indicated by their past academic experience and performance. The number of positions for visiting scholars is limited and preference will be given to those whose research interests match most closely with staff at the Institute.
The Institute is not in a position to offer financial assistance to visiting scholars. Visitors are fully responsible for their funding during their stay in The Hague.
Applications deadlines for entry in the Fall is 31 May and for the Spring is 30 November.
In order to apply, please send your full application (in .pdf or .doc(x)) to Ms. Astrid de Vries at firstname.lastname@example.org containing:
- A statement of intent of maximum 2 pages, elaborating on the following questions
- What you intend to work on during the fellowship;
- What deliverable’s you plan to produce during or after you fellowship;
- The desired duration and timing of your fellowship.
- A full CV, including a full list of publications.
What we offer visiting scholars
The Institute of Security and Global Affairs offers a stimulating working environment. Amongst the benefits of being a visiting scholar at our Institute are:
- Office space (including Wi-Fi and email) at the Institute, depending on availability;
- Use of the Library facilities of Leiden University;
- Attending Lectures and seminars run by ISGA, as appropriate;
- Invitations to events sponsored by ISGA.
The visiting scholar is responsible for finding accommodation in the Netherlands. Visitors can apply for housing through the university’s Housing Office or can look for a place to live in the private sector.
What we expect of visiting scholars
Visiting scholars are expected to participate actively in the intellectual life of the Institute. Depending on the length and nature of their visit, we would expect visiting scholars to;
- give at least one lecture or seminar whilst they are here to present their work, or to contribute to teaching our students and PhDs through guest lectures where relevant;
- to write a 1,000-word report for the Institute Fellows website, highlighting the work they have carried out during their time.