Peace, Justice and Development (Advanced LL.M.)
Why Leiden University
Drawing on a global student body and faculty, this programme prepares new generations of lawyers for the complex challenges that arise in the quest for justice.
Professor Carsten Stahn
This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.You can leave our website to view this video.
10 reasons why should study Peace, Justice and Development in Leiden
As a student of the Advanced Studies in Peace, Justice and Development programme, you will benefit from:
- Change making in action: This programme allows you to better understand the complexities of war and peace in order to champion the rights of people who do not always have the means to fight for themselves.
- Located in the Hague: The Hague is a hub of international legal institutions. That makes it the perfect place for internship and job opportunities with international organisations, international courts and tribunals, defence teams and NGOs, or in academic institutes.
- Multidimensional scope: As the Peace, Justice and Development programme is a specialisation within the larger Public International Law programme, you will obtain the unique perspective of a specialised focus while still gaining a thorough understanding of Public International Law as a whole.
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by lecturers who have gained an international reputation in their field, both from the Leiden Law School and from the many international legal institutions and tribunals in The Hague.
- International environment: In addition to the international focus of the curriculum, the unique blend of students and instructors that represent all continents makes our programme a truly global experience.
- Extracurricular opportunities: You will have the opportunity to further develop your professional skills by participating in a variety of extracurricular activities, such as editing the Leiden Journal of International Law and participating in moot court competitions.
- Close academic community: The programme distinguishes itself by its personalised seminar-style teaching. Our smaller class sizes encourage lively student interaction during discussions and assignments and contribute to a feeling of community.
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School has developed its reputation for excellence by combining a high level of academic teaching with acclaimed and innovative research. Its tradition of quality attracts prestigious professors and professionals from around the world who teach you in a challenging and supportive atmosphere.
- Beautiful, convenient setting: The Law School is housed in two beautifully restored historic buildings located in the old centre of Leiden. We also have teaching and research facilities close to international legal institutions in The Hague.
- Superior research resources: You will have access to the Law School’s excellent library as well as the library of the nearby Peace Palace (The Hague), which houses one of the world’s largest legal collections. You will also have access to the Royal Library and the libraries of the T.M.C. Asser Institute for International Law.
Studying at Leiden Law School
Leiden Law School offers challenging, top quality education with many opportunities for talent to flourish. The law school is internationally orientated and has many contacts with universities, political bodies and the professional field. Our teaching staff combine a solid academic basis with current knowledge in the professional field. As a result the study programmes offered are versatile, topical and socially relevant. With our additional location in The Hague we are in close proximity to the political and international organisations that operate in the areas of law, justice and policy-making.
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University