Public International Law (Advanced LL.M.)
For the Public International Law, you will choose one of two major specialisations: International Criminal Law or Peace, Justice and Development.
Due to the current Corona crisis, this programme will be offered online in the academic year 2020-2021. You therefore do not need to come to Leiden to start and end the programme. However, should you decide to travel to Leiden to explore Leiden university, Leiden Law School and Leiden city, we would be delighted to welcome you. We will be happy to organise several social activities and may meet in person. Yet your teaching experience will be identical to the experience you would have had should have stayed in your home country.
Hitomi Takemura (Japan)
“I am grateful for my time in the Public International Law programme because it served as the foundation that sparked my interest in International Criminal Law. Due to our focus on this unique specialisation, I now know that I hope to pursue International Criminal Law professionally.”
What does this master’s programme entail?
In this advanced master’s programme, you will gain a thorough understanding of the legislation that governs international relations in an increasingly complex global society. You will learn in-depth about a wide range of aspects that affect our world, in addition to getting the opportunity to specialise your area of study. Through focused seminars and workshops, you will be challenged to develop your own views on the role and functioning of public international law.
For this programme, you will choose one of the following specialisations:
To view the full programme outline, please choose the link to one of the specialisations.
During the programme, you will develop the skills to:
- thoroughly analyse and interpret legal sources, literature and cases
- research and formulate an independent opinion on international legal questions
- clearly present your findings both orally and in writing to legal specialists as well as non-lawyers
- actively participate in academic debate
- apply this advanced academic knowledge of public international law in a professional context
Is Public International Law the right programme for you?
The Public International Law programme is a good fit for you if you have a sincere interest in the field and:
- you are a qualified lawyer who would like to enhance your career prospects
- you are an excellent student who has completed your legal studies in your home country with sufficient knowledge of Public International Law or
- you have professional experience in the field
The programme caters to those who are working in or would like to pursue a career in international organisations, governmental institutions, international non-governmental organisations or in academia. You can follow the programme full-time for one year or part-time for two years.
- Public International Law: Capita Selecta
- International Institutional Law
- International Criminal Law
- International Humanitarian Law
- International Protection of Human Rights
- Privatissimum: UN Peacekeeping
Please select one of the specialisations to view the full prospectus and a more detailed programme description.