International Criminal Law (Advanced LL.M.)
Why Leiden University
Drawing on a global student body and faculty, this programme prepares new generations of international lawyers for the complex challenges of global justice.
Professor Carsten Stahn
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
10 reasons why should study International Criminal Law in Leiden
As a student of the Advanced Studies programme in International Criminal Law, you will benefit from:
- Located in the Hague: The Hague is a hub of international legal institutions. That makes it the perfect place for internship and job opportunities with international organisations, international courts and tribunals, defence teams and NGOs, or in academic institutes.
- Multidimensional scope: As the International Criminal Law programme is a specialisation within the larger Public International Law programme, you will obtain the unique perspective of a specialised focus while still gaining a thorough understanding of Public International Law as a whole.
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by practitioners and experts from international judicial institutions as well as distinguished academics from the Leiden Law School.
- International environment: In addition to the international focus of the curriculum, the unique blend of students and instructors that represent all continents makes our programme a truly global experience.
- Dynamic lectures: This programme hosts a weekly lecture series on International Criminal Law. These lectures are organised in co-operation with the T.M.C. Asser Institute and the NGO Coalition for the International Criminal Court and conferences organised with other members of the The Hague Academic Coalition.
- Extracurricular opportunities: You will have the opportunity to further develop your professional skills by participating in a variety of extracurricular activities, such as editing the Leiden Journal of International Law and participating in moot court competitions.
- Close academic community: The programme distinguishes itself by its personalised seminar-style teaching. Our smaller class sizes encourage lively student interaction during discussions and assignments and contribute to a feeling of community.
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School has developed its reputation for excellence by combining a high level of academic teaching with acclaimed and innovative research. Its tradition of quality attracts prestigious professors and professionals from around the world who teach you in a challenging and supportive atmosphere.
- Beautiful, convenient setting: The Law School is housed in two beautifully restored historic buildings located in the old centre of Leiden. We also have teaching and research facilities close to international legal institutions in The Hague.
- Superior research resources: You will have access to the Law School’s excellent library as well as the library of the nearby Peace Palace (The Hague), which houses one of the world’s largest legal collections. You will also have access to the Royal Library and the libraries of the T.M.C. Asser Institute for International Law.
Studying at Leiden Law School
Leiden Law School offers challenging, top quality education with many opportunities for talent to flourish. The law school is internationally orientated and has many contacts with universities, political bodies and the professional field. Our teaching staff combine a solid academic basis with current knowledge in the professional field. As a result the study programmes offered are versatile, topical and socially relevant. With our additional location in The Hague we are in close proximity to the political and international organisations that operate in the areas of law, justice and policy-making.
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University