Nationalism, Ethnic Conflict and Development (MSc)
Whether you are eligible for admission to a Political Science master’s programme depends on your previous education and your command of the English language. The detailed entry requirements are listed below.
General diploma requirements
- a bachelor’s degree in Political Science (from a recognised university)
- a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline
Qualitative admission requirements
- good academic record as evidenced by a grade point average of 7 in the Dutch system (or equivalent) and/or other indicators (such as relevant extracurricular activities or honours programme);
- at least 80 ECTS in Political Science or political science relevant subjects, where the average grade point of the 80 (or more) ECs is 7 or higher in the Dutch system (or equivalent);
- competency in Social Science Research Methodology, demonstrated by coursework
NB: If the applicant cannot demonstrate competency in Social Science Research Methodology, s/he will be required to take the online course Introduction to Research Design in Political Science before the beginning of the academic year. All information about the course will be provided upon admission.
- sufficient proficiency in the English language, as described below.
English language proficiency
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply*:
- IELTS 7.0 with a minimum band score of 6.5 for reading, listening, and speaking; and a minimum band score of 7.0 for writing;
- TOEFL (internet-based) 100 with the following minimum band scores: 22 (reading), 22 (listening), 22 (speaking) and 25 (writing);
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE) (scale 185 and above) or C1 Advanced (CAE) (scale 185 and above).
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- We do not accept IELTS General Training or IELTS Indicator
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept the following types of test: TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined), TOEFL Essentials™ or institutional tests such as ITP.
- We can accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic year 2021-2022, but not yet for 2022-2023 pending national decision-making. As soon as further information is available this webpage will be updated.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada) Singapore, South-Africa or Malta, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.
Go to the next step: › Check the application deadlines