Along with your application, you will need to submit a variety of documents.
Please note that the Physics programme requires an additional letter of recommendation.
Required application documents
Please upload a copy of the passport page(s) with your personal details and photograph. If you come from the EU/EER, you may also send a copy of your identity card.
If you are already staying in the Netherlands with a Dutch residence permit for study or for another purpose, please upload a copy of both sides of your Dutch residence permit.
Your CV must be written in English. Other than this, no standardised format or template is required. Your CV should clearly outline your educational and professional history up until the present date, as well as basic personal facts. Please provide the average mark (Grade Point Average) in your bachelor, calculated until March 15, 2018 (for start in September) or September 15, 2018 (for start in February 2019).
A personal statement must be submitted explaining why you want to follow the programme, why you have chosen to do so at Leiden University, and what makes you think you are a good candidate. The statement should be between 700 and 1,500 words.
- Digital copies are required initially. Once you have been admitted, we will tell you how to submit certified copies to the Admissions Office.
- Documents must be in the original language and accompanied by official translations if they are not in English or Dutch. If you have not yet completed your study programme, state your expected graduation date and submit copies of all transcripts obtained to date.
- If you are applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme: all documents must be available in English (or translated into English).
You can apply to a programme before you obtain the results of your language exam (if you already have your results you can upload them directly in our online portal). If you are admitted, it will be on the condition that these results will meet the required levels specified.
Always check first if your programme requires you to send in letters of recommendation. If you need to submit more than one letter, at least one letter must be from an academic staff member.
- The letter must be printed on letterhead paper, signed and bearing the full contact details of the referee (for verification purposes).
- Your referee should describe your skills, qualities and competencies.
Recommendation letters - submission information
Letters of recommendation can be scanned and uploaded as part of your online application. Alternatively, your referee can send them directly to us, making sure your name and student number are clearly indicated.
- By post:
Leiden University Admissions Office
“Gravensteen” Pieterskerkhof 6
2311 SR Leiden
- Digitally via our contact form
Additionally please complete the attached format and upload this in your application.
Programme specific requirements: Letters of recommendations
You should provide two letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be from an academic staff member.