Industrial Ecology (MSc)
To be eligible for Industrial Ecology at Leiden University and Delft University of Technology, you must meet the following admission requirements.
Applicants holding a bachelor’s degree in any of the Natural Sciences, Engineering Sciences, or Social Sciences from an accredited university programme and comparable with three years of Dutch Academic Education are admittable to the programme. The application for admission shall be reviewed by the Board of Admissions.
If you don’t have a bachelor's degree in any of the Natural Sciences, Engineering Sciences or Social Sciences, but you do think you are eligible for this master’s programme, and have passed one or multiple courses in mathematics and/or statistics, equivalent to a minimum of 6 EC, please contact the study advisor before applying for the programme.
A bachelor degree in any of the Natural Sciences, Engineering Sciences, or Social Sciences from an accredited programme and a grade point average of the entire curriculum of 7.5 or higher.
Please note that you will have to comply with the following requirements to be considered for the programme:
- All students need to have a demonstrable affinity with multi- or interdisciplinary education and research. This should be shown in a motivation letter to the admission committee by elaborating on relevant course modules, summer courses, internships, or other relevant experiences that are within the exit qualifications of the bachelor’s degree, or at least at sufficient academic level.
- All students need to have a demonstrable interest in the field of Industrial Ecology. This should be shown in the motivation letter by giving at least one relevant example of the relation between his/her bachelor’s education or previous experience and the field of Industrial Ecology.
Proof of sufficient proficiency in English, evidenced by appropriate language test:
- IELTS: minimum overall score of 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 for each of the components Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
- TOEFL: internet based 90 (minimum 20 component score)
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE) or C1 Advanced (CAE): a score of at least 180 (minimum 169 component score)
For detailed information about which English qualifications are accepted, as well as the relevant exemption criteria, refer to English language proficiency.
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.
Industrial Ecology is a multidisciplinary master's programme which means that you will have a wide range of courses. From experience, it can be said that students - especially students without a technical background - can have trouble with some courses. For these courses, high school level knowledge of mathematics, physics and chemistry is a prerequisite. If you are not sure about your level regarding these topics, we selected some online courses to prepare yourself for the coming semester.
In the first semester, you will use Python for modelling. If you do not have experience with programming, the following course is recommended:
- Academic writing
If you are not very familiar with academic writing, the following course might be useful: