Hebrew and Aramaic Studies (research) (MA)
To be eligible for Hebrew and Aramaic Studies (research) at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- An academic Bachelor’s degree in Theology or Semitic Languages or a comparable degree, with at least one full-year course (normally amounting to 15 credits) of academic study of Biblical Hebrew.
For further information on the admission procedure and required application documents please see this web page.
In addition, you must also meet the following qualitative admission requirements:
- Good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for your entire bachelor’s programme and a grade for the bachelor’s thesis of an 8 or higher.
- Affinity with and suitability for scholarly research in the specific field of the programme/specialisation and the ability to clearly report on research.
- Demonstrable motivation to study and suitability for the particular Research MA programme/specialisation.
The qualitative admission requirements will be implemented as follows:
- You are asked to provide a transcript of records and diploma of the relevant obtained academic degree.
- Your motivation and suitability should be demonstrated by a motivation letter in which you indicate why you want to follow the programme and what makes you a good candidate for the research MA programme. The statement should be between 700 and 1,500 words.
- You are required to submit a writing sample (a relevant research paper or Bachelor’s Thesis). In case you are unable to demonstrate via a writing sample that you meet the requirement Please submit a 1,250 word essay as part of the admission process:
- in this essay you must demonstrate an affinity with and specific knowledge of the specialisation
- it must clearly answer a research question, provide a reasonable and reasonably well-organised argument that demonstrates an understanding of the topic of the essay.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL (internet-based): 100
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE) 185
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.