Archaeological Science (MSc)
Archaeological Science at Leiden University is an MSc specialisation that delves into the specifics of archaeological methods and techniques. The combination of hands-on field experience and laboratory work offers a challenging and rewarding research environment.
What does this master's programme entail?
Scientific methodology is an important approach in modern archaeology and it is at the heart of archaeological science. Hypotheses, data, theory, experiments, observations, as well as presentation and interpretation, are all key to our understanding of our past.
The programme gives you the freedom to choose your own focus based on your own interests. You may study archaeobotany and archaeozoology, or prefer to dive into human osteoarchaeology. You may rather explore material culture, or further develop your skills in digital archaeology. All of these choices can be combined with lectures on specific regions or time periods. After graduation you are thus an expert in the field of your choice, in relation to a specific area.
See the programme page for more information.
Why Archaeological Science at Leiden University?
- Benefit from our wide range of expertise. Match your prefered archaeological science methods with one of the regions we lecture on, from the Americas to the Near East.
- Study in a faculty that ranks in the top 10 worldwide in academic reputation and research impact (February 2019 QS World University Ranking by subject).
- Follow lectures given by our outstanding international faculty staff, whose members are involved in projects all over the world, with a strong emphasis on field archaeology.
- Work with top researchers and benefit from the strong connection between our current research projects and our curriculum.
- Gain a Master of Science degree in Archaeology and enter the job market with a strong basis in the archaeological sciences.
Chat with a student
Do you have a question about studying at leiden University or student life in Leiden? Do you want more information about the Archaeological Science master's specialisation? Chat with a current student for answers to your questions!