Archaeological Science (MSc)
To be eligible for Archaeological Science at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
General diploma requirements
- A bachelor’s degree in Archaeology from a university, equivalent in knowledge, understanding and skills to the level of the BA Archaeology degree at Leiden University.
- For start date February 1, 2021: Overall Average grade of 7.0 (Dutch grading system) for BA2 + BA3
- For start date September 1, 2021: Has knowledge of and skills within the chosen specialisation, shown by having passed a matching specialisation course at bachelor level
- Proven prior knowledge of the chosen scientific field, proof of a science background and analytical skills in the desired specialisation
- A motivation letter of max. 500 words which shows:
- you understand what the chosen scientific field entails
- you can indicate the relevance of your previous education and experience to the chosen scientific field.
NB: if you are deemed to have insufficient science background your application may be subject of scrutiny. Therefore, it is advisable to submit at the same time an application for one of the MA specialisations.
For start date September 1, 2021: Students of the Dutch Saxion Hogeschool, BSc-programme in Archaeology will meet these requirements if they finished:
- An academic minor and the SPOC Academic Skills OR
- Have an average of 7.0 in the BA2 and 3 ánd followed the SPOC Academic Skills OR
- Their graduation project is graded with a 8.0 and they have followed the SPOC Academic Skills
Applicants who have a bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree in Archaeology, but with a lack of specific archaeological knowledge or skills which can be obtained within max 1 year, will be admitted to the master after completing a pre-master's programme of max. 60 credits (with an average grade of 7.0) in the time set for the programme.
You will be asked to hand in the following:
- Curriculum vitae
- Movitation letter
- Two reference letters
Register via Studielink, then opt for the Bachelor higher year. In the uSis online portal to which you are redirected, you will be able to choose the pre-master option.
Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, every bandscore needs to be sufficient (6.0), TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE), with minimum grade C, or CPE/CAE 185 score).
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.