Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges (BA/BSc)
How do countries collaborate to impact climate change? How does inequality affect life expectancy? How can diplomacy help reduce international conflict? These are the types of questions you get to explore in the Liberal Arts & Sciences programme at Leiden University College through the central theme of Global Challenges. Are you curious about the world around you? Are you interested in more than one field of study? Then this interdisciplinary programme may be the right one for you.
A programme for Global Challengers
The world is not made up of neat little boxes. It is a melting pot of people and ideas, knowledge and questions, problems and solutions… Think of the biggest challenges that the globe is facing today. What comes to mind? Climate change? Conflict? Individual differences? None of these challenges fit neatly into one box. These issues can only be addressed if we all work together. If our political leaders work on solutions to benefit us all. If companies are willing to develop new technologies. If organizations can work towards a shared goal. How do we get there? With creative minds, who can think outside the box. With people who are left-brained, right-brained or both. With Science-lovers and Humanities addicts. With you.
Why Study Liberal Arts and Sciences at LUC The Hague?
Leiden University College (LUC) offers a Liberal Arts & Sciences programme: a challenging programme inspired by the great minds of ancient Greece, who saw the value in learning about a variety of subjects. When you approach learning this way, you will increase your ability to see connections between different fields and find solutions to problems. The focus of the programme is on the Global Challenges of today: Peace & Justice, Sustainability, Diversity and Prosperity. You will study the Global Challenges through the lenses of various disciplines, before picking one or two to pursue in more depth, while living on the LUC Campus in The Hague, the City of International Peace and Justice.
What makes LUC The Hague special?
- A challenging curriculum with a focus on Global Challenges: Peace and Justice, Sustainability, Prosperity and Diversity
- Interactive small-scale classes with an average of 18 students, focused on discussions and debates
- A residential campus where first- and second-year students live and learn together in a close-knit international community
- The location in the centre of The Hague, with its many ministries, international organisations and NGO’s
- A choice of six majors, giving you flexibilit
Is this the programme for you?
- Do you want to learn about Global Challenges and the ways they are interconnected?
- Are you looking for an honours programme which will challenge you to go the extra mile?
- Do you get inspired by vivid discussions in small settings?
- Are you interested in many different academic areas and looking for a programme with many extracurricular activities and clubs?
- Do you want to explore different topics first and specialize later?
- Do you want to become part of a close-knit international community, living in the Centre of The Hague?
Then this may be the programme for you!
Chat with a student
Would you like to ask a question about the Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges programme or about student life at LUC The Hague? Ask one of our students directly through this chat! You will receive an answer within 24 hours.