Heritage and Society (BA)
In the specialisation Heritage and Society you explore the role of heritage in society. With our combination of education and research you lay a strong foundation for an (inter)national carreer in heritage management and policy.
Do the 360 Tour of the Faculty of Archaeology
This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.You can leave our website to view this video.
Why study Heritage and Society?
Cultural heritage is important for a community. It plays a role in a people's identity and can determine the way they experience history. In this specialisation you will investigate the interaction between cultural heritage and society.
- Reflect on the future of cultural heritage and the preservation choices that are being made;
- Learn about the theoretical and practical sides of heritage policy from an archaeological perspective;
- Dive into topical themes, by, for example, exploring the role of cultural heritage among migrant communities.
Heritage and Society is a specialisation of the Bachelor's programme in Archaeology. You will choose your specialisation in the first year of your Bachelor's studies in Archaeology.
Study Archaeology at Leiden University
- Study at a Faculty that has quite rightly earned a place in the top ten of archaeology research and teaching institutes in the world.
- Benefit from our large network in international research.
- Use our modern facilities and consult the world-renowned collections of the University Library.
Is this the programme for you?
Archaeology at Leiden University is the programme for you if:
- you literally and figuratively want to dig into the past;
- you have an investigative nature;
- you are interested in people and their (material) culture;
- you are practical, but not daunted by academic theory;
- you have a good grasp of English;
- you are social and are able to work well together with others.