Heritage and Society (BA)
In the specialisation Heritage and Society you explore the role of heritage in society. With our combination of education and research you lay a strong foundation for an (inter)national carreer in heritage management and policy.
Why study Heritage and Society?
Cultural heritage is important for a community. It plays a role in a people's identity and can determine the way they experience history. In this specialisation you will investigate the interaction between cultural heritage and society.
- Reflect on the future of cultural heritage and the preservation choices that are being made;
- Learn about the theoretical and practical sides of heritage policy from an archaeological perspective;
- Dive into topical themes, by, for example, exploring the role of cultural heritage among migrant communities.
Heritage and Society is a specialisation of the Bachelor's programme in Archaeology. You will choose your specialisation in the first year of your Bachelor's studies in Archaeology.
Study Archaeology at Leiden University
- Study at a Faculty that has quite rightly earned a place in the top ten of archaeology research and teaching institutes in the world.
- Benefit from our large network in international research.
- Use our modern facilities and consult the world-renowned collections of the University Library.
Is this the programme for you?
Archaeology at Leiden University is the programme for you if:
- you literally and figuratively want to dig into the past;
- you have an investigative nature;
- you are interested in people and their (material) culture;
- you are practical, but not daunted by academic theory;
- you have a good grasp of English;
- you are social and are able to work well together with others.