Student Research Mobility Programme (STREAM) is aimed at students who are keen to conduct research during their studies.
University of Milan
Research at Leiden University: “Taking part to the STREAM programme had been a great opportunity to work in a true research project inside an international research group. This experience not only made me grow up under an academic point of view, but also gave me the opportunity to discover a new country and to meet people from all over the world”.
University of Zurich
Research at Leiden University: "My supervisor was really nice and open, always motivated. I was free to create my own project, she was of course there to help me and give me advice but she also took my opinion into account. I have learned a lot and also improved my English. I had free time for myself in the evenings and on weekends, which allowed me to fully enjoy my stay”.
Assistant Professor, Leiden University
“I had the opportunity to supervise an amazing student, extremely motivated, very skilled, professional, and trustworthy. She designed an entire study on her own and managed to program a complex virtual reality task”.
STREAM is a student exchange programme between Leiden University and other European universities who are, like Leiden University, members of LERU (League of European Research Universities).
The programme is intended for students who are registered in their 3rd, 4th or 5th year of study at one of the following universities:
- Université Paris-Sud, France
- Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy
- Lund University, Sweden
- Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Université de Genève, Switzerland
- University of Zurich, Switzerland
- Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany
Please note, that mobility requests between institutions located in the same country are not allowed within the framework of the STREAM programme.
Projects Leiden University
Within STREAM, currently the following projects are offered at Leiden University:
Faculty of Science
- Evolutionary Developmental Biology (pdf)
- In vivo cell fusion using a synthetic model system (pdf)
- Light-activated anticancer compounds (pdf)
- Metal complexes in Catalysis, Biomimetics and Inorganic Materials (pdf)
- Operando research in heterogeneous catalysis (pdf)
- Research projects in Physics (pdf)
Medicine (Leiden University Medical Center)
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Faculty of Law
General minimum requirements for students interested in conducting research at Leiden University within STREAM:
- GPA of at least 3.2 (out of 4)
- Minimum English level: B2
- Only applicants nominated by their university will be considered.
- Please note that some projects may have additional requirements.
Procedures and application
- Students interested in a research project should contact the STREAM coordinator at their own university.
- Students who have been nominated by their home institution can submit their application online
- Application deadline February 2020 intake: 1 October 2019
- Application deadline September 2020 intake : 1 April 2020
- Application deadline February 2021 intake: 1 October 2020
Please mention on your application: STREAM + name of the project you are applying for.