Leiden Spinoza Prize Laureates
Of the 85 Spinoza Prizes that have been awarded since 1995, 21 have gone to researchers from Leiden University. The NWO Spinoza Prize is the highest Dutch award in science.
NWO awards the prize to Dutch researchers who rank among the absolute top of science. NWO awards the Spinoza Prizes each year to researchers working in the Netherlands and who according to international standards belong to the absolute top of science. The Spinoza Laureates perform outstanding and ground-breaking research, which has a large impact. They inspire young researchers. They receive 2.5 million euro each for scientific research.
- Prof.dr. E.A.M. Crone, professor of Neurocognitive Developmental Psychology. Read: Spinoza Prize for ‘puberty professor’ Eveline Crone
- Prof.dr. M.A.G.J. Orrit, professor of Spectroscopy of molecules in condensed matter. Read: Spinoza Prize for Michael Orrit, Professor of Spectroscopy
- Prof. A.W. van der Vaart, Professor of Stochastics. Read: Spinoza Prize for Leiden statistician Aad van der Vaart
- Prof. D. Bouwmeester, Professor of Physics. Read: Dirk Bouwmeester and Corinne Hofman receive NWO Spinoza Prize
- Prof. C. Hofman, Professor of Archaeology of the Caribbean Region. Read: Dirk Bouwmeester and Corinne Hofman receive NWO Spinoza Prize
- Prof. A.G.G.M. (Xander) Tielens, Professor of Physics and Chemistry of Interstellar Space. Read: Spinoza Prize for Leiden astronomer Xander Tielens
- Prof. N. (Naomi) Ellemers, Professor of Social Psychology of the Organisation. Read: Naomi Ellemers: ‘Now I have the opportunity to do something truly innovative.'
- Prof. M. (Marijn) Franx, Professor of Extra-galactic Astronomy. Read: Spinoza winner Marijn Franx to use successor to Hubble
- Prof. I. (Ineke) Sluiter, Professor of Greek Language and Culture. Read: ‘Funding is often hard to find. But not this time!’
- Prof. M.D. (Michel) Ferrari, Professor of Neurology (LUMC). Read: Spinoza prize for 'migraine professor' Michel Ferrari
- Prof. J.W.M. (Wil) Roebroeks, Professor of Archaeology. Read: Wil Roebroeks wins Spinoza Prize
- Prof. J. (Jan) Zaanen, Professor of Physics. Read: Spinoza Prize for Jan Zaanen
- Prof. M.H. (Rien) van IJzendoorn, Child and Family Studies
- Prof. E.A.J.M. (Els) Goulmy, Professor of Transplantation Biology (LUMC)
- Prof. F.R. (Frits) Rosendaal, Professor of Clinical Epidemiology (LUMC)
- Prof. E. F. (Ewine) van Dishoeck, Professor of Molecular Astrophysics
- Prof. C.W.J. (Carlo) Beenakker, Professor of Theoretical Physics
- Prof. H.W. (Hendrik) Lenstra, Professor of Fundamental and Applied Maths
- Prof. P.C. (Pieter) Muysken, Professor of Linguistics
- Prof. F.H.H. (Frits) Kortlandt, Professor of Lingusitics
- Prof. F.P. (Frits) van Oostrom, Professor of Dutch Literature