Vice-Dean / professor of Children's Rights
Prof. Dr. Ton Liefaard is full Professor of Children’s Rights and holds the UNICEF Chair in Children’s Rights at Leiden University, Leiden Law School.
Leiden Law Blog
- Introduction to Children's Rights
- Children’s Rights
- Children and the Law
- Enforcement and monitoring of children's rights
- Children’s Rights from an International Comparative Perspective
- Scriptie master Rechtsgeleerdheid
- Interaction Between Children's Rights And Other International Legal Systems
- Children In The Justice System
- Thesis International Children's Rights
Summer School: International Children's Rights
Prof. Dr. Ton Liefaard holds the UNICEF Chair in Children’s Rights at Leiden University, Leiden Law School.
He teaches children’s rights, child law and juvenile justice from an international and comparative perspective and has published widely on the meaning of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and related international and regional instruments for the position of children at the national level. He is the programme director of the Master Programme (LL.M) Advanced Studies in International Children's Rights. He also coordinates the Leiden Summer School on International Children's Rights. He has received the award for best lecturer of Leiden Law School in 2015.
Ton Liefaard is a honorary juvenile judge at the District Court of Amsterdam and was a member of the Government Committee on the Reassessment of Parenthood (Staatscommissie Herijking Ouderschap) advising the Dutch Government on changing parental relationships and the position of children. He was appointed as a member of the Council for the Administration of Criminal Justice and Protection of Juveniles on the 1st of October 2016. He regularly works as a consultant for international organizations, including agencies of the United Nations, the Council of Europe and the European Union, on issues related to children’s rights, juvenile justice, child friendly justice, child protection, alternative care and violence against children.
- PhD in law (VU University Amsterdam)
- Master of Laws (VU University Amsterdam)
Title of dissertation
T. Liefaard, Deprivation of Liberty of Children in Light of International Human Rights Law and Standards, Antwerp/Oxford/Portland: Intersentia publishing 2008.
Ancillary positions + organization
- Honorary juvenile judge, District Court of Amsterdam
- Member Council for the Administration of Criminal Justice and Protection of Juveniles
- Vice-chair editorial board Journal of Family and Juvenile Law (Tijdschrift voor Familie- en Jeugdrecht, Kluwer)
- Member editorial board Journal of Youth and Children's Rights (Tijdschift voor Jeugd en Kinderrechten, Larcier Belgium)
Dutch (native), English (fluent), French, German, Afrikaans
- Committee of Recommendation
- Member Advisory Board
- Lid Editorial Board Youth Justice
- Lid Afdeling Advies
- Raad van Advies
- Redactielidmaatschap Tijdschrift voor Jeugd- en Kinderrechten