Tanachia Ashikali’s expertise includes diversity management, leadership and inclusion in public organizations. She develops and applies quantitative research methods and techniques to study these topics among employees and (team) leaders. Example applications include: developing and testing a measurement scale for inclusive leadership, using survey methods and structural equation modelling.
Tanachia Ashikali is an Assistant Professor of Public Management at the Institute of Public Administration at Leiden University. Her research expertise includes diversity management, leadership and inclusion in public organizations, with a focus on quantitative research methods and techniques. She teaches courses on human resource management and public management, and supervises master theses on these and related topics. She acts as a speaker at practitioners’ seminars and, as a research fellow of the Leiden Leadership Centre, engages in research collaborations on inclusive leadership with practitioners in various Dutch public organizations.
Ashikali received her PhD in Public Administration from Leiden University in 2018. The dissertation combines mainstream management and public management literature and studies how diversity management and leadership relate to inclusiveness in public organizations and individual employee and team outcomes. She examined quantitative survey data on both the individual and team level, and shows that inclusiveness is about team members feeling they belong to the group, while they can have their own unique identities. Inclusive leadership stimulates this by encouraging diverse team members to value, exchange, discuss and learn from their different backgrounds, perspectives and ideas. Inclusiveness in turn contributes to employees’ organizational commitment and involvement. This is particularly required in a changing society demanding of public organizations to be adaptive and responsive.
Grants and Awards
For her article, on diversity management, transformational leadership, inclusiveness and employees’ affective commitment co-authored with prof. Sandra Groeneveld, she was granted the best article published in 2015 award by the journal Review of Public Personnel Administration.
HRM in the public sector (MA)
Management and Performance (BA)
Thesis supervision (MA)
Kwantitatief Leeronderzoek (BA)
- Schmidt J.E.T., Kuipers B.S., Groeneveld S.M., Fraussen B., Ashikali T., Laterveer H. & Slooff A. (2019), Publiek leiderschap en maatschappelijke meerwaarde (. Public Administration, Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs, Leiden University), . The Hague: Leiden Leadership Centre.
- Ashikali T.S. (20 November 2018), Leadership and inclusiveness in public organizations (PhD thesis. Institute of Public Administration, Governance and Global Affairs, Leiden University). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s): Groeneveld S.M., Kuipers B.S.
- Kuipers B.S., Ashikali A., Fraussen B. & Groeneveld S.M. (2018), Verder met publiek leiderschap. Onderzoeks- en ontwikkelagenda (. Public Administration, Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs, Leiden University), . The Hague: Leiden Leadership Centre.
- Ashikali T. & Groeneveld S. (2018), Management van diversiteit. In: Noort W. van, Groeneveld S., Hoek M van der, Schalk J., Voet J. van der (Eds.) Publiek Management. Bussum: Coutinho. 211-226.
- Ashikali T., Groeneveld S. & Kuipers B. (2017), The role of transformational leadership in creating inclusion in diverse teams.
- Ashikali T.S. & Groeneveld S.M. (2015), Diversity Management for All? An Empirical Analysis of Diversity Management Outcomes Across Groups, Personnel Review 44(5): 757-780.
- Ashikali T.S. & Groeneveld S.M. (2015), Diversity management in public organizations and its effect on employees' affective commitment. The role of transformational leadership and the inclusiveness of the organizational culture, Review of Public Personnel Administration 35(2): 146-168.
- Groeneveld S.M., Tummers L., Bronkhorst B., Ashikali T.S. & Thiel S. van (2015), Quantitative Methods in Public Administration: Their Use and Development Through Time, International Public Management Journal 18(1): 61-86.
- Ashikali, T.S., Erradouani, F. & Groeneveld S.M. (2013), De meerwaarde van diversiteit in de publieke sector. De rol van diversiteitsbeleid, HRM en leiderschap (, Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam). Rotterdam; Den Haag: Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam; Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken en Koninkrijksrelaties.
- Celik, S., Ashikali, T.S. & Groeneveld S.M. (2013), Diversiteitsinterventies en de binding van werknemers in de publieke sector. De rol van een inclusieve organisatiecultuur, Gedrag & Organisatie 26(3): 329-352.
- Kuipers B.S., Groeneveld S.M., Ashikali T.S. & Bronkhorst B. (2013), High Performing Teams in de publieke sector. Een onderzoek naar context, processen en uitkomsten (, Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam). Den Haag: ICTU/Internetspiegel.
- Celik, S., Ashikali, T.S & Groeneveld S.M. (2011), De invloed van diversiteitsmanagement op de binding van werknemers in de publieke sector. De rol van transformationeel leiderschap, Tijdschrift voor HRM 14(4): 32-57.
No relevant ancillary activities