Research areas and activities
- Infant social cognition
- Object representation in infancy
- Executive functions in autism
- Looking time paradigms
- Electrophysiological measures (EEG)
- Optical imaging (NIRS, Near-infrared spectroscopy)
- Assistant Professor, Parenting, Child Care and Development, University of Leiden, 2011- present
- Assistant Professor, Cognitive Psychology Section, Institute for Psychology, University of Leiden, 2005-2011 (fixed term)
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Center of Cognitive Science and Department of Psychology, Rutgers University, NJ, USA, 2001-2003
- PhD, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK, 2002
- Young Research Fellow Institute for Psychology of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary, 1997-1998.
- MPhil, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK, 1996
- Young Research Fellow, Institute for Psychology of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary, 1993-1996
- Msc and BA, Department of Developmental and Cognitive Psychology, University of Eotvos Lorand, Budapest, Hungary, 1987-1993
- 2013 "Prenatal tobacco exposure and infant social cognition: A study with Near-Infrared Spectroscopy" LUF/Gratama subsidy PI in collaboration with Stephan Huijbregts and Claartje Levelt.
- 2011 “Roots of Social Cognition”, Interdisciplinary Start-up grant: ‘Brain function and dysfunction over the lifespan’. PI in collaboration with Lenneke Alink, M. van IJzendoorn and R. Vermieren.
- 2011 “Prenatal Tobacco Exposure and Infant Cognition: A Study with Near-Infrared Spectroscopy” , Interdisciplinary Start-up grant: ‘Brain function and dysfunction over the lifespan’. Co-investigator in collaboration with Stephan Huijbregts (PI) and Claartje Levelt.
- 2006-2010 “The development of infant's perception of goal-directed actions” NWO Open MaGW Program, NL. Grant for hiring Ph.D. student for 4 years. PI in collaboration with Bernhard Hommel.
Current teaching activities
- Attachment: State of the art
- Practice in empirical research
- Methods and instruments in cognitive and affective neuroscience
- Master thesis and BA thesis project supervision
- Szilvia Biro is the scientific coordinator of the BabyLab. LINK www.babylab-leiden.nl
- Member of LIBC (Leiden Institute for Brain and Cognition) and LIBC junior. LINK: www.libc-leiden.nl
Dissertations (PhD projects)
- Stephan Verschoor (2014, June 25) "Development of action perception and action control", Promotors: Szilvia Biro and Bernhard Hommel