Nadia Garnefski is Associate Professor at the Department of Clinical Psychology of Leiden University, The Netherlands. Her work at the University consists of a combination of research, teaching and management tasks. Besides these activities, she also completed post-master training programs for Health Care (GZ) psychologist and Cognitive behavioral Therapist VGCT©. She also works as a therapist at a private mental health care practice. She is author of several self-help books and an online self-help program.
- To investigate the cognitive and behavioural copingstrategies that people use to handle the experience of negative life stressors or trauma (among which medical events), and their relationships to psychopathology.
- To develop, evaluate and implement evidence-based self-help intervention programmes for improving depressed mood in people who experience negative life stressors or trauma. In the past years, main focus was on studying the effectiveness of an online self-help programme for people with HIV and depressive symptoms.
- The development of self-help programmes for people with HIV and depressive symptoms in other cultures, such as Africa and South-east Asia.
- The development and validation of questionnaires, such as the Cognitive Emotion Regulation Questionnaire (CERQ), the Behavioural Emotion Regulation Questionnaire (BERQ), and the Self-Compassion Coping Instrument (SCCI), all available for research purposes, for free.
Study advisor; coordinator of master course Cognitive Behavioural Interventions; Thesis supervisor; supervisor of PhD projects; supervisor of research projects in RINO post-master education in Clinical Psychology.
Member of the Board of the Clinical Psychology Unit; Chair and member of the Committee of Education of the Clinical Psychology Unit.
Past activities: Member of the Faculty Board, Education and Science affairs, from 2004 to 2006; Chair of the Psychology Committee of education, from 2006 to 2009; Science committee, and various other advisory committees and work groups in and outside the faculty.
- Vrijgevestigd GZ psycholoog
- Uitgave van zelfhulpboeken