Clinical and Health Psychology (research) (MSc)
- Part of
- Psychology (research) (MSc)
The research master’s specialisation Clinical and Health Psychology prepares you for a PhD trajectory.
How did Psychology help Laura Ramiro Pires in her career?
Health Psychologist (Germany)
'Moving from Germany to the Netherlands to study Psychology was the best decision I could have ever made. While pursuing my whole studies at Leiden University I was always extremely enthusiastic about the content, approach and support.'
'Now I am a Health Psychologist working self-employed as Life Coach and Trainer. I developed a training to guide expatriates through their journey of personal change and growing inner resources. I also work as a research assistant for a study on job satisfaction among doctors. I truly love my work.'
What does this master's programme entail?
Academic and research skills are trained at an advanced level. You will make an in-depth study of topics within the broad context of ‘self-regulation of health and illness’. Topics that you will investigate include: stress, symptom perception and illness, the dynamics of behavioral change, and coping with (chronic) disease. You will learn a broad variety of methods and techniques, e.g., clinical trials, neuroimaging, and longitudinal survey or intervention studies.
Reasons to choose Clinical and Health Psychology at Leiden University
- A Research Master's degree will give you a great perspective on a future in research within the public or private sector.
- A Research Master's degree is the perfect way to preare for a PhD programme.
- Because only the most talented and motivated students will be admitted to the Research Master's track, you will be guaranteed to be challenged during your studies.
- Students who wish to pursue a career as scientist-practitioner / clinician may combine the research master with specific parts of the professional one-year master’s programmes in Clinical Psychology or in Health Psychology to qualify for post-master psychotherapy training programmes (PDO in Dutch).
Clinical and Health Psychology: the right programme for you?
Students will be provided with a theoretical background for clinical and health psychology research, assessment and interventions. This includes the acquisition of knowledge relevant to the assessment and treatment of psychopathology, as well as to health promotion and disease prevention and the self-management of chronic diseases. This track is the ideal start for a PhD programme in Clinical and Health Psychology.