Director of Education/Assistant Professor
Maarja Beerkens' research focuses on governance issues, regulation, and empirical policy analysis and evaluation. Her field of interest lies in higher education and science policy in which she has published academically as well as conducted policy advising in different parts of the world (Armenia, Botswana, EU countries).
Maarja Beerkens is an assistant professor at the Institute of Public Administration at Leiden University. Her research focuses on governance issues, regulation, and empirical policy analysis and evaluation. Her field of interest lies in higher education and science policy in which she has published academically as well as conducted policy advising in different parts of the world (Armenia, Botswana, EU countries). Her recent book
Public Policy for Academic Quality: Policy Analyses of Innovative Policy Instruments, with David Dill was published by Springer Publishers in 2010
. Prior to her appointment at Leiden University in 2010, she worked at the Center for Higher Education Policy Studies (CHEPS) at the University of Twente. She has also worked for the World Bank and conducted several research projects for the European Commission. She received her doctorate in public policy from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the US.
Maarja Beerkens teaches courses on public policy and organisations, organisational economics, and research design and techniques for bachelor and master students.
- Beerkens M. (2019), Evidence-based policy and higher education quality assurance: progress, promise and pitfalls".. In: Leibner T. (Ed.) Impact Evaluation of Quality Management in Higher Education [Reprint]. New York: Routledge.
- Beerkens M. (2018), Evidence-based policy and higher education quality assurance: progress, pitfalls and promise, European Journal of Higher Education 8(3): 272-287.
- Beerkens M. (2018), Knowledge commons and global governance of academic publishing. In: Cogolati S., Wouters J. (Eds.) The Commons and a New Global Governance. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing. 186-210.
- Beerkens M. (2018), The European Research Council and the academic profession: insights from studying starting grant holders, European Political Science 18(2): 267-274.
- Beerkens M. (2017), Information issues, higher education markets (Political economy). In: Cheol Shing J., Teixeira P. (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Higher Education Systems and Institutions. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Beerkens M. (2017), Stakeholders in Higher Education Quality Assurance: Richness in Diversity?, Higher Education Policy 30(3): 341-359.
- Beerkens M. (2015), Quality assurance in the political context: In the midst of different expectations and conflicting goals, Quality in Higher Education 21(3): 231-250.
- Beerkens M. (2016), Cooperation between private and public regulators in higher education: Complementarity or managed rivalry? Presentation at the annual CHER (Consortium for Higher Education Researchers) conference, 5-7 September 2016, Cambridge.
- Beerkens M. (2016), Cooperation between public regulators and transnational initiatives: Complementarity and rivalry in higher education quality assurance, ECPR Regulatory Governance standing group conference, 6-8 July 2016, Tilburg.
- Beerkens M. (2016), Global commons, transnational oligopolies, and national regulatory cultures: A potential for collaborative ownership in the academic publishing industry? Global Public Goods, Global Commons and Democracy: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, 22-23 February 2016, in Leuven.
- Beerkens M. (2016), International student exchange: a calculated decision or going with a flow, University World News (27 May 2016), Issue no: 415.
- Beerkens M., Suoto Otero M., Wit H. de & Huisman J. (2016), Similar students and different countries? The barriers to international student mobility in seven countries, Journal of Studies in International Education 20(2): 184-200.
- Beerkens M. (2015), Agencification problems in higher education quality assurance.. In: Reale E. (Ed.) Universities in transition: shifting institutional and organizational boundaries. Rotterdam: Sage Publisher. 43-62.
- Beerkens M. (2014), Agencification problems in higher education quality assurance. CHER (Consortium for Higher Education Researchers) annual conference. Rome.
- Beerkens M. (2014), The top talent mobility within Europe: Evidence from the ERC starting grant holders. ECPR general conference. Glasgow.
- Dill D.D. & Beerkens M. (2013), Academic quality, league tables and public policy: A cross-national analysis of university ranking systems [reprint from 2005]. In: King R., Marginson S., Naidoo R. (Eds.) The Globalisation of Higher Education: A Companion. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Souto Otero M., Huisman J., Beerkens M. & de Wit H. (2013), Barriers to international student mobility: evidence from the ERASMUS program, Educational Researcher 42(2): 70-77.
- Beerkens M., Matthys & J. (2013), Contracting for ideas: Creativity in the midst of procurement procedures, contract law and competitive incentives”. [other]
- Beerkens & M. (2013), Coping with fragmentation in crowded policy domains: From acceptance to recovery in different theoretical perspectives. [other]
- Beerkens M. (2013), Facts and fads in academic research management: The effect of management practices on research productivity in Australia, 42(9): 1679–1693.
- Beerkens M. (2013), Market competition and concentration in the academic research industry: Evidence from Australia 1992-2008, Science and public policy 40(2): 157-170.
- Steunenberg B., Beerkens M., Berg C.F. van den, Hartmann J.M.R., Ruiter A. de, Ruiter R. de & Voermans W.J.M. (2012), 'Wij doen dat zo': Onderzoek naar de grenseffecten van Europees beleid. Den Haag: Univeristeit Leiden.
- Steunenberg B., Beerkens M., Berg C.F. van den, Ruiter R. de & Voermans W.J.M. (2012), 'Wir machen das so': Studie zu den Grenzeffecten der europäischen Politik. Den Haag: Universiteit Leiden.
- Dill D.D. & Beerkens M. (2013), Designing the Framework Conditions for Assuring Academic Standards: Lessons Learned about Professional, Market, and Government Regulation of Academic Quality, Higher Education 65(3): 341-357.
- Beerkens M. (8 September 2011), Autonomy and control in the higher education quality regulation: Insights from new accountability instruments. (Lecture). Bucharest, Romania.
- Westerheijden D., Federkeil G., Cremonini L., Kaiser F. & Beerkens M. (2011), Ranking goes International: Piloting the CHE Ranking of Study Programmes in Flanders and the Netherlands.. In: Rostan M., Vaira M. (Eds.) Questioning Excellence in Higher Education: Policies, Experiences and Challenges in National and Comparative Perspective. Higher Education Research in the 21st Century no. 3 Rotterdam: Sense Publishers. 175-193.
- Beerkens M. & Vossensteyn H. (2011), The effect of the ERASMUS programme on European higher education: The visible hand of Europe.. In: Enders J., de Boer H., Westerheijden D. (Eds.) Reform of Higher Education in Europe. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers. 45-62.
- Beerkens M., Mägi E. & Lill L. (2011), University studies as a side job: the causes and consequences of massive student employment in Estonia., Higher Education 61(6): 679-692.
- Beerkens M. & Jongbloed B. (28 October 2010), University-industry partnerships: between mission and market. (Lecture). Enschede.
- Beerkens M. (14 September 2010), The effectiveness of academic research management practices. (Lecture). Paris.
- Vossensteyn H., Beerkens M., Cremonini L., Niekerk W. van & Weert E. de (2010), Background Reports Veerman Committee.. Enschede: CHEPS.
- Mora J.-G., Detmer A., Vieira M.-J., Beerkens M., Boffo S., Jongbloed B., Kwiek M., Schneijderberg C., Shattock M. & Temple P. (2010), Good Practices in University-Enterprise Partnerships.. Valencia: Valencia University of Technology.
- Vossenteyn H., Beerkens M., Cremonini L., Besançon B., Foken N., Leurs B., McCoshan A., Mozuraityte N., Huisman J., Souto Otero M. & Wit H. de (2010), Improving the participation in the ERASMUS programme.. Brussels: European Parliament.
- Beerkens M., Dassen A., Leysite L., Vossensteyn H. & Weert E. de (2010), Professional Masters: An international comparative study. Report for the Dutch Ministry of Education, Science and Culture.. Enschede: CHEPS.
- Beerkens M., Benneworth p., Boer H. de, Cremonini L., Jongbloed B. & Vossensteyn H. (2010), Profiling and Funding: An international comparative study. Report for the Dutch Ministry of Education, Science and Culture.. Enschede: CHEPS.
- Dill D.D. & Beerkens M. (Eds.) (2010), Public Policy for Academic Quality: Analyses of Innovative Policy Instruments.. Dordrecht: Springer Publishers.
- Dill D.D. & Beerkens M. (2010), Reflections and conclusions.. In: Dill D.D., Beerkens M. (Eds.) Public Policies for Academic Quality: Analyses of Innovative Policy Instruments. Dordrecht: Springer Publishers. 313-336.
- Beerkens M. & Dill D.D. (2010), The CHE University Ranking in Germany.. In: Beerkens M., Dill D.D. (Eds.) Public Policies for Academic Quality: Analyses of Innovative Policy Instruments. Dordrecht: Springer Publishers. 61-82.
- Commissielid en rapporteur
- Member of the Scientific Committee