Carbohydrates, the most diverse and complex class of biomolecules in Nature, are the focus of the research of Jeroen Codée, who aims to unravel their mode of action through the design and synthesis of well-defined glycocojugates as well as inhibitors and probes.
Date of birth: 30 July 1975
2004 PhD, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands, 29 September 2004. Thesis title: “Chemical Synthesis of Oligosaccharides - A focus on thioglycosides and glycosaminoglycans”
Advisors: Prof. Dr. J.H. van Boom and Prof. Dr. C.A.A. van Boeckel
1999 MSc in Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Current and previous research positions
2009 – now Assistant Professor, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, the Netherlands
2007 – 2009 Post-doctoral Researcher (Veni), Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands, (Prof. G.A. van der Marel)
2004 – 2006 Post-doctoral Researcher (TALENT stipend), Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule (ETH) Zürich, Switzerland (Prof. P.H. Seeberger)
Grants, awards, recognitions since 2010
2016 ERC Consolidator grant (k€ 2,000)
2015 NWO-CW ECHO grant (k€ 260)
2015 EU Marie Curie ITN Grant “GLYCOVAX” (k€ 468)
2014 EU Marie Curie ITN Grant “IMMUNOSHAPE” (k€ 218)
2013 NWO KIEM (k€ 19)
2012 NWO-CW Middelgroot grant with Prof. van der Marel (k€ 129)
2011 NWO-CW ECHO grant with Prof. van der Marel (k€ 260)
Contribution to teaching and supervision
- Course ‘Biomolecular Chemistry’ for BSc Molecular Science and Technology (Leiden/Delft)
- Courses ‘Reactivity on Organic Chemistry’, and ‘Molecules of Life’ for MSc Chemistry (Leiden)
Current supervision of 20 PhD students and 1 Veni postdoctoral fellow. PhD supervisor of 11 PhD theses (1 cum laude and awarded with the Backer Prize for best Organic Chemistry Thesis in the Netherlands) and 4 PDs since 2007. Current employment of recent PhD students and PD fellows: J. Jiang, assistant professor at Shenzen University, China; M. Walvoort, postdoctoral researcher at MIT, now tenure track at Groningen University; B. Duivenvoorden, process engineer, Shell, D. van der Es, lecturer, Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research, Leiden University; M. Willems, drug registration officer, Synthon, Nijmegen; A. Christina, research scientist with Syncom, now lecturer, University of Applied Sciences Leiden; C.-S. Wong, lecturer, technical school Leiden; J. Dinkelaar, clinical chemist, Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, Amsterdam; W. Hogendorf, research staff, NovoNordisk; R. Castelli, Assistant professor Univerity of Parma, Italy. H. Gold, medical advisor Grunental group; N. de Jong, recruiter, Bird recruitment.
Other responsibilities since 2010
- Editor of Carbohydrate Chemistry: Proven Synthetic Methods – Volume 2.
- Chairman of the exam committee of the BSc curriculum MST (Leiden/Delft).
- Member of review panel for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO, Veni panels 2012, 2013, 2014).
- Member of the education committee of the BSc programme MST (Leiden/Delft, 2015-2016).
- Member of the faculty council, Leiden University (2013-2015).
- Member of the Leiden Institute of Chemistry Council (2013-).
- External member to PhD committees in Australia, Canada, Denmark, Ireland, Belgium, Letland, Sweden, Netherlands.
- Reviewer for Nature Communications, Angewandte Chemie, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Chemistry – A European Journal, and various organic chemistry journals.
Publication record including five recent representative publications
111 papers and book chapters with 2400 citations, H-index 26 (Web of Science)
Full publication record: Leiden University
- Zhang Q., Rijssel E.R. van, Walvoort M.T.C., Overkleeft H.S., Marel G.A. van der, Codée J.D.C., Acceptor reactivity in the total synthesis of α-L-guluronic acid and β-D-mannuronic acid containing alginate fragments. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 7670-7673.
- Laverde D., Wobser D., Romero-Saavedra F., Hogendorf W.F.J., Marel G.A. van der, Berthold M., Kropec A., Codee J.D.C., Huebner J., Synthetic Teichoic Acid Conjugate Vaccine against Nosocomial Gram-Positive Bacteria. PlosOne. 2014, 9, 110953.
- Rijssel E.R. van, Delft P. van, Lodder G., Overkleeft H.S., Marel G.A. van der, Filippov D.V., Codee J.D.C., Furanosyl Oxocarbenium Ion Stability and Stereoselectivity, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53, 10381-10385.
- Walvoort M.T.C., Elst H. van den, Plante O.J., Krock L., Seeberger P.H., Overkleeft H.S., Marel G.A. van der, Codée J.D.C., Automated solid-phase synthesis of beta-mannuronic aicd alginates. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 4393-4396.
- Barroso S., Castelli R., Baggelaar M.P., Geerdink D., Horst B. ter, Casas-Arce E., Overkleeft H.S., Marel G.A. van der, Codée J.D.C., Minnaard A.J., Total synthesis of the triglycosyl phenolic glycolipid PGL-tb1 from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 11774-11777.
Presentations including five presentations at international conferences since 2010
>25 invited presentations at universities and institutes, and invited, and keynote lectures at international conferences since 2012
- 10th International Symposium on Integrated Synthesis (ISONIS-10), 18-19 November 2016, Awaji Island, Japan, invited lecture
- NYUAD International Chemistry Conference on Organic & Bioorganic Chemistry, 16-18 Februari 2016, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, invited lecture
- European Carbohydrate Symposium, 2-6 August 2015, Moskow, Russia, invited lecture
- European Symposium on Organic Chemistry, 10-16 July 2015, Lisbon, Portugal, invited lecture
- Gordon Research Conference on Carbohydrates, 14-17 June, East-Dover, USA, invited lecture
No relevant ancillary activities