Dr. Helena U. Vrabec is a visiting researcher at eLaw.
Leiden Law Blog
Dr. Helena U. Vrabec is a visiting researcher at eLaw. She holds a master’s degree in law from Ljubljana University (2013), an LLM from Tilburg University (2014) and a PhD in data protection law from Leiden University (2019).
In 2018 Dr Vrabec served as a resident fellow at Yale Law School and was part of the research center Information Society Project, supervised by Prof. Dr. Jack Balkin. Before her time at Yale, she worked three years as a researcher and a PhD candidate at Leiden Law School (the Netherlands). During the years in Leiden she also served as a European Commission ethics expert and gave lectures on privacy law for students and legal professionals. Prior to that, she worked as a privacy advisor for Ernst & Young in Amsterdam where she collaborated with the world’s leading corporations on implementing data protection mechanisms.
Dr Vrabec regularly publishes in peer-reviewed journals on the topics in relation to data protection, big data and law & technology, and gives talks at national and international conferences. For her academic achievements she was awarded several academic grants and awards, among others the Fulbright and the Meijers prize.
Dr Helena U Vrabec is currently based in New York where she is a member of the legal team at Palantir Technologies.
- Ursic H. (7 February 2019), Uncontrollable: Data subject rights and the data-driven economy (PhD thesis. Institute for the Interdisciplinary Study of the Law, Faculty of Law, Leiden University). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s): Hof, S. van der, Custers, B.M.H.
- Custers B.H.M., Ursic Vrabec H. & Friedewald M. (2019), Assessing the Legal and Ethical Impact of Data Reuse: Developing a Tool for Data Reuse Impact Assessments (DRIA), European Data Protection Law Review 5(3): 317-337.
- Ursic H., Nurullaev R., Olmedo Cuevas M. & Szulewski P. (2018), Data localisation measures and their impacts on data science. In: Mak V., Tjong Tjin Tai E., Berle A. (Eds.) Research Handbook in Data Science and Law. Research Handbooks in Information Law Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. 322-353.
- Ursic H. (2018), The Failure of Control Rights in the Big Data Era – Does a Holistic Approach offer a Solution?. In: Bakhoum M, Conde Gallego B., Mackenrodt M.-O., Surblytė-Namavičienė G. (Eds.) Personal Data in Competition, Consumer Protection and Intellectual Property Law - Towards a Holistic Approach?. MPI Studies on Intellectual Property and Competition Law no. 28 Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer. 55-83.
- Custers B.H.M. & Ursic H. (2018), Worker Privacy in a Digitalized World under European Law, Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal 39(2): 323-344.
- Ursic H. (11 October 2017), Free flow of data – recent legal developments in relation to the EU DSM strategy (Lecture). "iKnow - data-driven future conference", Messe Congress, Graz, Austria.
- Ursic H. (8 October 2017), Facebook is an advertising giant (Facebook je odlaševalski gigant). Interviewed by Klemen Čeligoj [interview].
- Ursic H. (22 May 2017), Data subject rights: control in the big data economy (Lecture). "Big Data: New Challenges for Law and Ethics", Ljubljana Law School, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Ursic H. (12 May 2017), Unobtrusive gathering and combining of large amounts of data: who owns such data and are patients' trust safeguarded and empowerment facilitated? (Lecture). "Small devices, big challenges?", Centre for Human Drug Research, Leiden.
- Ursic H. (30 March 2017), In The Anticipation Of The Right To Be Forgotten’s 3rd Birthday – EU Courts In Search Of Boundaries, Coherence And Balance. The Interdisciplinary Internet Institute Blog [blog entry].
- Ursic H. & Evers J. (2017), Data Protection Principles and the (Big) Data Challenges in the Light of the New EU Legislation, ELSA Media Law International Focus Programme Almanac 2013-2016: 8-14.
- Ursic H. (27 January 2017), Data Reuse As Europe’s Big Chance – What About Privacy Risks? [panel] (Lecture). Computers, Privacy and Data Protection Conference, Brussels.
- Ursic H. (2016), Presentation The Failure of Data Subject Rights in the Big Data Era - could the Holistic approach be a solution? Personal Data In Competition, Consumer Protection And IP Law – Towards A Holistic Approach? The Max Planck Institute Post-Doc Conference in Munich, Germany.. München, Germany, (Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition). [other]
- Ursic H. (2016), De juridische implicaties van Big Data voor de verzekeringssector. Presentation at the ACIS seminar Big Data, digitale innovatie en de gevolgen voor de verzekeringssector, Amsterdam, UvA Business School.. UvA Business School, Plantage Muidergracht 12 in Amsterdam, (Amsterdam Centre for Insurance). [other]
- Ursic H. (2016), The Right to be Forgotten or the Duty to be Remembered? Twitter data reuse and implications for user privacy.: Council for Big Data, Ethics, and Society.
- Ursic H. (23 June 2016), TechTalk Supersized Data - Privacy and Big Data (Lecture).
- Ursic H. (19 June 2016), Does Europe Need An Industry Data Protection Right?: The Interdisciplinary Internet Institute [blog entry].
- Ursic H. (12 April 2016), The EU Drone Regulation – No Such Thing As A Magic Stick: The Interdisciplinary Internet Institute [blog entry].
- Ursic H. (2016), Regulation in the era of sharing economy and internet platforms (Regulacija v dobi ekonomije delitve in spletnih platform), Pravna Praksa 2016(5): 6-8.
- Custers B.H.M. & Ursic H. (2016), Big data and data reuse: a taxonomy of data reuse for balancing big data benefits and personal data protection, International Data Privacy Law 6(1): 4-15.
- Ursic H. (2016), Presentation Data Subject Rights in the Digital Environment. Internet L@w Research Colloquium, Geneva. [other]
- Ursic H. & Custers B.H.M. (2016), Legal Barriers and Enablers to Big Data Reuse - A critical Assessment of the Challenges for the EU Law, European Data Protection Law Review 2(2): 209-221.
- Ursic H. (2015), Data Privacy Trends in Dutch (European) Corporations, Privacy & Practice 5(1-2): 8-13.
- Ursic H. & Kalis J.P. (2015), Presentation Data reuse and medical devices, NILG PhD forum, VU Amsterdam.. [other]
- Ursic H. (2015), Presentation Legal aspects of the EU data economy, 28th Bled Conference #eWellBeing, the workshop on Modeling the European data economy, Bled, Slovenia. [other]
- Ursic H. (2012), The Dilemma of the Proportionality Test, Pravna Praksa (33).
- Data Protection Lawyer