Eduardo Alves Vieira
Eduardo Alves Vieira is a University Lecturer at the Centre for Linguistics.
My main research project, which is a linguistic policy study, examines the expansion of the Portuguese throughout the world as an international language. Primarily, I analyze the cultural, educational and economic processes that enable the diffusion of the Brazilian culture and its language. Therefore, I investigate the pros and cons regarding such a linguistic promotion process. I am interested in the relationship between majority and minority languages, and consequently in their language planning. Additionally, I have specialized in sociolinguistics and have interest in areas such as pragmatics and critical discourse analysis, as well as topics related to heritage languages studies, bilingualism, and language identity.
- (2014 – 2017) PhD - Department of Artistic, Literary and Cultural Studies at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain.
Dissertation title: “Brazilian Portuguese in an International Context: a sociolinguistic, educational, cultural, economic and geopolitical study”.
- (2011 – 2013) MA - Department of Hispanic Philology at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain.
Thesis title: “The comment clauses in Spanish”.
- Alves Vieira E., Muntendam A. & Parafita Couto M.C. (2019), Bilingualism in the Hispanic and Lusophone world (BHL): Current Issues in Spanish and Portuguese Bilingual Settings Member of editorial staff Languages 59(4).
- Alves Vieira E. (2019), It takes two to… speak Portuguese: a virtual linguistic ethnography analysis.
- Alves Vieira E. (2019), Políticas para a língua portuguesa no mundo digital, anseios tecnológicos, Revista de Estudios Portugueses y Brasileños 16: 187-201.
- Alves Vieira E. (2018), Benefícios e impasses na internacionalização do português enquanto língua de negócios. In: Araújo Carla Sofia; Teixeira Carlos, Falcão Cecília; Santos Lídia Machado dos; Fernandes Paula O.; Gonçalves Vitor (Eds.) I Encontro Internacional de Língua Portuguese e Relações Lusófonas: LUSOCONF 2018.
- Alves Vieira E. (2017), Can the future of a language be predicted? The case of Portuguese, TheLinguist@NTNU (4): 3-4.
- Alves Vieira E. (2017), CPLP: Política e Planificação Linguística.
- Alves Vieira E. (2017), Is the future of Portuguese predictable? (Lecture).
- Alves Vieira E. (2016), Brazil and CPLP in the projection of Portuguese: reality and expectations.
- Alves Vieira E. (2016), The projection of Portuguese in the diaspora environment: an experiment in Madrid.
No relevant ancillary activities