Eduardo Alves Vieira
Eduardo Alves Vieira is a University Lecturer at the Centre for Linguistics.
I received my Ph.D. in 2017 at the Autonomous University of Madrid (Spain) where I defended the thesis titled “Brazilian Portuguese in an International Context: a Sociolinguistic, Educational, Cultural, Economic and Geopolitical Study”. I have been teaching at Leiden University since 2016, where I am the Assistant Professor of Portuguese Language and Linguistics. I carry out my teaching activities at the BA/MA Latin American Studies and BA International Studies programs. My first main research project is a language policy study that examines the expansion of Portuguese throughout the world as an international language. Primarily, I analyze the cultural, educational, and economic processes that enable the diffusion of the Brazilian culture and its language. Moreover, I investigate the pros and cons regarding such a linguistic promotion process. My second main research project is a queer/LGBTQIA+ linguistics study in which I analyze how the Brazilian queer dialect Pajubá fosters language variation in Brazilian Portuguese. I am specialized in sociolinguistics and interested in areas such as pragmatics, critical discourse analysis, queer/LGBTQIA+ linguistics, as well as in studies on the relationship between majority and minority languages, heritage languages, multi/bilingualism, and language identities.
- Alves Vieira E. (24 June 2021), Do you speak Pajubá? Sociolinguistic factors influencing the use of the LGBTQIA+ dialect among Brazilian Portuguese native speakers (Lecture).
- Alves Vieira E. (2021), Is Portuguese becoming queer(er)? The use of the Pajubá slang and expressions by (non)LGBTQIA+ speakers in Brazil (Lecture).
- Kuipers S. & Alves Vieira E. (2020), The Pros and Cons of the Chilean Intercultural Bilingual Programme, an Online-survey Based Investigation .
- Alves Vieira E., Muntendam A. & Parafita Couto M.C. (2019), Bilingualism in the Hispanic and Lusophone world (BHL): Current Issues in Spanish and Portuguese Bilingual Settings Member of editorial staff Languages 59(4).
- Alves Vieira E. (2019), It takes two to… speak Portuguese: a virtual linguistic ethnography analysis.
- Alves Vieira E. (2019), Políticas para a língua portuguesa no mundo digital, anseios tecnológicos, Revista de Estudios Portugueses y Brasileños 16: 187-201.
- Kuipers S. & Alves Vieira E. (2019), The Chilean Bilingual Intercultural Education Programme (PEIB) and its impact on the transmission and revitalisation of Mapudungun.
- Alves Vieira E. (2018), Benefícios e impasses na internacionalização do português enquanto língua de negócios. In: Araújo Carla Sofia, Teixeira Carlos Falcão Cecília, Santos Lídia Machado dos, Fernandes Paula O. & Gonçalves Vitor (Eds.) I Encontro Internacional de Língua Portuguese e Relações Lusófonas: LUSOCONF 2018.
- Alves Vieira E. (2017), Can the future of a language be predicted? The case of Portuguese, TheLinguist@NTNU (4): 3-4.
- Alves Vieira E. (2017), CPLP: Política e Planificação Linguística.
- Alves Vieira E. (2017), Is the future of Portuguese predictable? (Lecture).
- Alves Vieira E. (2016), Brazil and CPLP in the projection of Portuguese: reality and expectations.
- Alves Vieira E. (2016), The projection of Portuguese in the diaspora environment: an experiment in Madrid.
No relevant ancillary activities