Caelesta Braun's research expertise includes political advocacy, interest group politics, public decision-making, bureaucratic politics and regulatory governance. She studies the role of non-state stakeholders in public decision-making and regulation and how we can make sure to involve stakeholders in executive politics in an inclusive and effective way. In addition, she studies how stakeholders can succesfully strategize to influence legislative and regulatory decision-making.
Caelesta’s main fields of research include political advocacy, interest group politics, public decision-making, bureaucratic politics and regulatory governance. In May 2015 she received a Vidi grant from the Dutch research council (NWO) for a five-year research project: 2-CAPTURE: that examines the role and impact of societal stakeholders in regulatory governance.
Before joining Leiden University, Caelesta was an assistant professor at the Utrecht University and Vu University. She has held a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Antwerp from 2009-2013 and obtained her PhD at Leiden University in 2009.
See also Caelesta's Curriculum Vitae (pdf).
2-Capture (Vidi research project)
Comparative Interest Representation (international comparative research project)
- Braun C.H.J.M. (2016), Het Nederlandse poldermodel langs de democratisch meetlat. Over representativiteit, verantwoording en belangenvertegenwoordiging. In: Keune M. (Ed.) Nog steeds een mirakel? De legitimiteit van het poldermodel in de 21e eeuw. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press. 37-60.
- Braun C., Scherpenisse J., Steen M. van der & Twist M. van (2016), On the forces of policy change and joint causation. Insights from the banker’s bonus case, International Review of Administrative Sciences 0(0): 1-19.
- Mendes de Leon P.M.J. (2008), The Relationship between Eurocontrol and the EC: Living Apart Together, International Organizations Law Review 4(2): 305-321.
- De Zwart F. & Braun C. (2007), Redistribution and ethnic diversity in the Netherlands: Accommodation, denial and replacement, Acta Sociologica 50(4): 387-399.
- Boin R.A., Kuipers S.L. & Braun C. (2000), De crisis die uitbleef: de inlichtingensector, geheimhouding en het voordeel van de twijfel. In: Boin R.A., Kuipers S.L., Otten M.H.P. (Eds.) Institutionele crises: breuklijnen in beleidssectoren. Alphen aan den Rijn: Samsom. 144-166.