LACDR PhD Portal
As part of your assignment you are required to contribute to teaching in the Bachelor and the Master programs in Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences of Leiden University.
Teaching & Supervision Course
All LACDR PhD candidates receive training in teaching and supervision. As part of this program you follow the course “Introduction to Teaching & Supervision for PhD candidates” in your first year, which is designed for you. The course is presented by education specialists of the Leiden University Graduate School of Teaching (ICLON).
This course aims at the formulation of learning goals, choosing the format for teaching and learning activities, student motivation and, of course, at teaching and supervision of students.
The curriculum is as follows:
- Self-study (10 hours)
- Workshop Introduction to Teaching & Supervision for PhD candidates (4 hours)
- Preparing two self-evaluations (2x 5 hours)
- Preparing teaching statement (2 hours)
- Feedback meeting (4 hours including preparations)
You will be invited to participate in the course by the LACDR PhD program office. This course will give you 1 EC point (30 hours) in total.
After studying the materials made available through the ICLON and participating in the workshop you are required to prepare two self-evaluations on:
- a Teaching Assignment in a classroom/ laboratory setting
- a Supervision Assignment of a bachelor and/ or master research project
Templates for the self-evaluations can be found on the Teamsite LACDR PhD group. The self-evaluations will be presented and discussed during a feedback meeting. Generally the presentation of the self-evaluations will be in year 2 or 3 of your PhD program.