Religious Studies (MA)
Why Leiden University
Leiden University offers ambitious students the latest knowledge and the freedom to develop their own area of expertise.
Choose Religious Studies at Leiden University
- Leiden University is famous for its wide range of specialisms and outstanding scholarship, providing you with an excellent basis for the study of religion from a comparative perspective.
- Five specialist staff members support the unique profile in Christianity.
- Courses consist both of theory and applied practice, offering you hands-on experience; all the necessary research skills, tools and historical sources are made available.
- A variety of alternating electives gives you freedom of choice. You can specialize in one of many religious traditions, or opt for a methodological approach.
- The relatively small size of our department allows for an informal atmosphere and approachable staff members. You’ll be provided with individual, personalized guidance.
Additionally, Leiden University houses a wealth of scholars working in area studies, history and the social sciences, fostering conversations and the exchange of ideas. Its collections are world-famous. Our generalist toolbox, specialized knowledge and the university’s broader setting offer you a programme that is unlike any other in the Netherlands or beyond.
A top-ranked university
Leiden University's Faculty of Humanities is consistently ranked among the top 30 Humanities faculties worldwide in the THE World University Ranking. At Leiden University, the oldest university in the Netherlands, you can access resources found nowhere else in the world, such as those of the famous Leiden University Library and its collections of original manuscripts and periodicals.
Flexibility to construct your own programme
Our Religious Studies programme gives you considerable freedom to tailor your degree to reflect your interests. You can choose from two areas of specialisation, do an internship or an independent project in place of an elective, and pursue specific areas of interest not available elsewhere. All classes are taught by accomplished scholars at Leiden. Small classes ensure that you get the most out of your education.
Benefit from our unique expertise
Leiden University is famous for its wide range of specialisms and outstanding scholarship, providing you with an excellent basis for the study of religion from a comparative perspective. We also have five specialist staff members who support the unique profile in Christianity. Additionally, Leiden University houses a wealth of scholars working in area studies, history and the social sciences, fostering conversations and the exchange of ideas.
An excellent start to your career
Your qualification from Leiden University is respected by organisations worldwide. But that's not the only advantage of studying at Leiden. We challenge you to think harder, analyse more vigorously, consider new perspectives, and apply what you learn to real-world situations. Our students learn how to become critical thinkers – a quality that will ensure they stand out in any future career.