Religious Studies (MA)
Why Leiden University
Leiden University offers ambitious students the latest knowledge and the freedom to develop their own area of expertise.
Choose Religious Studies at Leiden University
- Leiden University is famous for its wide range of specialisms and outstanding scholarship, providing you with an excellent basis for the study of religion from a comparative perspective.
- Courses consist both of theory and applied practice, offering you hands-on experience; all the necessary research skills, tools and historical sources are made available.
- A variety of alternating electives gives you freedom of choice. You can specialize in one of many religious traditions, or opt for a methodological approach.
- The approach.department offers a wide-scope of regional expertise, including scholars who focus on Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.
- The relatively small size of our department allows for an informal atmosphere and approachable staff members. You’ll be provided with individual, personalized guidance.
Additionally, Leiden University houses a wealth of scholars working in area studies, history and the social sciences, fostering conversations and the exchange of ideas. Its collections are world-famous. Our generalist toolbox, specialized knowledge and the university’s broader setting offer you a programme that is unlike any other in the Netherlands or beyond.
A top-ranked university
Leiden University's Faculty of Humanities is consistently ranked among the top 30 Humanities faculties worldwide in the THE World University Ranking. At Leiden University, the oldest university in the Netherlands, you can access resources found nowhere else in the world, such as those of the famous Leiden University Library and its collections of original manuscripts and periodicals.
Flexibility to construct your own programme
Our Religious Studies programme gives you considerable freedom to tailor your degree to reflect your interests. You can choose from three areas of specialisation, do an internship or an independent project in place of an elective, and pursue specific areas of interest not available elsewhere. All classes are taught by accomplished scholars at Leiden. Small classes ensure that you get the most out of your education.
Benefit from our unique expertise
Leiden University is famous for its wide range of specialisms and outstanding scholarship, providing you with an excellent basis for the study of religion from a comparative, multidisciplinary perspective. Additionally, Leiden University houses a wealth of scholars working in area studies, history, and the social sciences, fostering conversations and the exchange of ideas.
An excellent start to your career
Your qualification from Leiden University is respected by organisations worldwide. But that's not the only advantage of studying at Leiden. We challenge you to think harder, analyse more vigorously, consider new perspectives, and apply what you learn to real-world situations. Our students learn how to become critical thinkers – a quality that will ensure they stand out in any future career.
Diversity and inclusion
We are convinced that our education can only flourish if everyone within the programme feels supported, respected and empowered to do their best work. We find it important to offer a learning environment that allows for different perspectives and points of view that students bring with them, depending on their ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, health, religion, age or socio-economic background. Every new generation sees the world from a new perspective – and our students are the newest generation. We look forward to hearing more about your perspective. Leiden University has been pursuing diversity policy since 2014, with the aim of creating a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment for all staff and students.
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or