Modern European Philosophy (MA)
On this page you will find the admission requirements for this programme.
You are eligible to apply for the MA Philosophy: Modern European Philosophy if you have:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Philosophy; or
- a bachelor’s degree from a research university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree; and
- general academic skills (research/heuristic skills, written/oral presentation skills, learning skills), and
- the ability to formulate a clear philosophical research question, to develop and formulate a critical view on that question, and to support this view by means of argument and analysis (to be determined on the basis of a writing sample); and
- relevant knowledge of philosophical anthropology and philosophy of culture and their history, equivalent to the knowledge obtained in the pre-master’s programme for Modern European Philosophy.
The Board of Admissions will assess whether your degree and background are sufficiently related to the level and content of a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Philosophy on the basis of the requirements specified above.
If you have a bachelor’s degree from a research university that does not meet the requirements specified above, you may be eligible for the pre-master’s programme. If you have completed the imposed pre-master’s programme, you will be admitted to the relevant specialisation of the Master’s programme. Read more about the pre-master’s programme.
Students with a Bachelor in Philosophy from Leiden University are directly eligible for admission. Students can apply in Studielink. There is no need to submit an application for admission using the online application portal.
Applicants with a degree from a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO) or equivalent are not eligible for admission to the Master’s programme in Philosophy (60 EC) and its pre-master’s programme.
In order to succesfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL (internet-based): 100
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Note that English test results may not be more than two years old. The following types of English test are accepted:
- IELTS: Academic
- We do not accept IELTS General Training or IELTS Indicator
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept the following types of test: TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined), TOEFL Essentials™ or institutional tests such as ITP.
- We can accept the TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition™ and the TOEFL IBT Paper Edition for admission to the academic years 2021-2022 and 2022-2023.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada) Singapore, South-Africa or Malta, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.