Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Philosophy (MA) (120EC)

The two-year master’s programme in Philosophy at Leiden University investigates the fundamental principles underpinning human knowledge while cultivating your capacity for reason and sound argumentation.

Why study Philosophy at Leiden University?

This demanding and high-level programme is ideal for students who wish to enhance their knowledge of a particular discipline with complementary understanding of its philosophical foundations combined with further honing of their analytical thinking skills.

The Philosophy (120 EC) master offers you the choice of three specialisations: Philosophy of Humanities; Philosophy of Law, Governance, and Politics; and Philosophy in World Traditions.

Each specialisation delves deep into the philosophical foundations and methodological approaches underpinning that discipline. Content incorporates the very latest academic theory and the field’s historical development across a number of branches of philosophy.

Learn more about the study programme

What are your career prospects?

Successful completion of the master’s programme can lead to PhD research and an academic career, or in the public, private or non-profit sectors. 75% of our students choose to enter a PhD programme after their studies, primarily in the Netherlands, the UK, the US, Germany or France. The remaining 25% already had a job when they joined the programme and were seeking to enhance their performance.

Find out more about your career prospects

Is Philosophy the programme for you?

The intellectual tools yielded by the study of philosophy are typically transferable skills to complement any given profession. The master's in philosophy will train you to become an outstanding critical thinker, capable of breaking down the most complex ideas and evaluating the principles upon which various positions are based. During your master, you will study, analyse and discuss primary philosophical texts while learning how to develop and communicate your own theories and ideas.

Do you want to find out if you are eligible for this Master's programme?

Check the admission requirements

Learn from thought leaders

At Leiden University, great minds have been gathering for over five hundred years to explore fundamental questions relating to human existence. Today, the Institute for Philosophy at Leiden University is an international centre for research and education, with an expansive network of partner institutes and an active programme of visiting lecturers.

During your master’s programme in Philosophy, you learn from researchers of the highest international standing. These lecturers are committed to helping you reach your potential, from using their contacts to help you get the internship you want, to inspiring you to challenge traditional ways of thinking. In Leiden, small classes allow for plenty of direct contact between you and your lecturers. Outside of class, an open-door policy means that support is on hand at any time.

This website uses cookies. More information.