Philosophy of Humanities (MA)
The master's programme in Philosophy of Humanities at Leiden University allows you to specialise in conceptual and methodological issues in the Humanities.
Start in February 2024
You can apply now to start the programme in February. The deadline is 15 October for students who need a visa or residence permit, and 15 November for students who do not.
Why study Philosophy of Humanities at Leiden University?
Taught by Leiden University's acclaimed international faculty, this programme explores three areas of the humanities: European culture, language and thought, and literature and art.
Explore what Nietzsche called ‘European nihilism’. Discover how languages are not interchangeable and that language is more than an instrument of expression. Critique Nietzsche's metaphysics and the role played by philosophical aesthetics in the destruction of the traditional aesthetic and the emergence of modern art. Expect to graduate with in-depth knowledge and advanced skills in critical-thinking – ensuring you stand out in any future career.
What are your career prospects?
Successful completion of the master’s programme can lead to PhD research and an academic career, or in the public, private or non-profit sectors. 75% of our students choose to enter a PhD programme after their studies, primarily in the Netherlands, the UK, the US, Germany or France. The remaining 25% already have a job when they joined the programme and were seeking to enhance their performance.
Is Philosophy of Humanities the programme for you?
This high-level programme attracts talented and motivated students. In-class debates with fellow students will fine-tune your reasoning skills and teach you how to formulate strong, logical arguments. Small classes allow for valuable, direct contact with your lecturers, who are invested in developing your potential.
Do you want to find out if you are eligible for this Master's programme?