English Literature and Culture (MA)
To be eligible for English Literature and Culture at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university (in the specialisation) English Language and Culture, European Languages and Cultures: English or Literature and Society: English
- Holders of a comparable bachelor’s degree from a research university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree, or who can demonstrate that they meet the requirements for such a degree, may also be granted admission.
- Completed the pre-master's/ bridging programme. Read more here. Please note: the pre-master's programme for English Literature and Culture starts in September only.
You should possess knowledge of and insight in English Literature and Culture, including:
- knowledge of and insight in the connections with North American literature and culture;
- knowledge of and insight in its development over the different periods (Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern);
- analytical skills needed for specifically literary analysis;
- a well-developed awareness of the relevant scholarly skills.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.5 (a minimum score of 7.0 is required for each of the four components)
- TOEFL: 113 (a minimum score of 25 is required for each of the four components)
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE) 185.
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.