Law & Finance (Advanced LL.M.)
Why Leiden University
The Law & Finance programme at Leiden looks at financial law from multiple perspectives to illustrate the links between law, economics and ethics.
Studying at Leiden Law School
Leiden Law School offers challenging, top quality education with many opportunities for talent to flourish. The law school is internationally orientated and has many contacts with universities, political bodies and the professional field. Our teaching staff combine a solid academic basis with current knowledge in the professional field. As a result the study programmes offered are versatile, topical and socially relevant. With our additional location in The Hague we are in close proximity to the political and international organisations that operate in the areas of law, justice and policy-making.
Find out what it's like to study at Leiden Law School
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University
10 reasons why you should study Law & Finance in Leiden
As a student of the Law & Finance Advanced Studies programme, you will benefit from:
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by expert staff and guest lecturers who are internationally renowned in the field of law and finance. Many of our staff are prominent contributors to or associated with organisations such as the World Bank, the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), P.R.I.M.E. Finance, ESMA, prominent investment banks, regulatory consultancy agencies, various courts and alternative dispute resolution entities.
- Professional skills: In addition to the theory you learn in the coursework, you will be trained in professional skills, including writing legal briefs, oral presentations and presenting oral arguments in a moot court setting.
- Study trip: You will visit important regulatory and commercial financial institutions on our student trip and engage with legal professionals working in the financial sector.
- Unique multidisciplinary approach: This programme provides relevant connections between the legal, economic and ethical aspects of finance transactions on the financial markets.
- Global coursework: This programme includes an exploration of the EU financial law system and its international sources as well as the other major regional systems (US, UK), including the role of relevant institutions, such as financial institutions, banks and financial supervisory authorities.
- International environment: In addition to the international focus of the curriculum, the unique blend of students and instructors that represent all continents makes our programme a truly global experience.
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School has developed its reputation for excellence by combining a high level of academic teaching with acclaimed and innovative research. Its tradition of quality attracts prestigious professors and professionals from around the world who teach you in a challenging and supportive atmosphere.
- High demand for graduates: Due to increased regulation of global financial markets and the current demands on the global financial sector in the transition to a sustainable and digitalized society, there is a high demand for legal experts who understand the rules and policies of international finance.
- Beautiful, convenient location: The Law School is housed in two beautifully restored historic buildings located in the old centre of Leiden. We also have teaching and research facilities close to international legal institutions in The Hague.
- Superior research resources: As a student, you will have access to several extensive library collections. Leiden is also in close proximity to the Peace Palace in The Hague, which houses one of the world’s largest legal collections.